Hi everyone,

Say hello!!
CountHigh

Hi everyone,

Post by CountHigh »

my name is CountHigh and I am going to retire early.

I am 35 years old male with a significant other and a small child. We live in Northern Europe (rural settings). I have enjoyed reading the forum, especially journals. I decided to sign in, because discussing ER-related topics in real-life might not be a good idea or make retiring early any easier. And I think that sharing stories, problems and solutions with others makes it more likely that we succeed.

I stumbled upon ERE -web page while finding information for my first investment decisions a couple of years ago. At that time I was working on short contracts and was accumulating "safety cushion". I have a more stable position now (that was step 1) and I have increased my savings rate during the last six months to 50% (that was step 2). Still a long way to go... But the journey is as important as the destination. I hope to reach a state comparable to runner's high on my way to ER. 8-)

Eureka

Re: Hi everyone,

Post by Eureka »

Welcome CountHigh!

Great with another one from the northern part of Europe, I hope you will be sharing your stories and thoughts here. For my own journey, I must admit that once I realized - and clearly defined - the destination of my quest (upon reading ERE philosophy), the destination has been so much more important to me than the journey to get here. And the only reason I actually made it. There would have been many other ways to get here, but once I knew what I was aiming at, I identified my starting point and chose the shortest path to my destination. And went for it. There could definitely have been more fun along the way, but that would have taken longer time.

There are so many things I want to do with my time and mental energy - and that are of so much more value to me. It is of no comparison to whether I had more or less fun getting to this incredible feeling of freedom it is to me not having to work for other people's projects/visions/needs/dreams/profits any longer EVER.

Anyway, we all have our own path, and you have already taken some important steps on your journey. Enjoy the ride!

wolf

Post by wolf »

Welcome CountHigh! Great, that you are here. Do you want to "retire early" or be "financially independent"? Have you thought about it? Maybe it changes things.

CountHigh

Post by CountHigh »

Thanks for the welcome!

@Eureka: Motivating to hear about the feeling of freedom that I am also aiming at! I see your point and admire it. Reminds me of a friend who was asked how he can maintain such a rigorous diet. He replied: "If you are hungry, eat a banana. If you don't want to eat a banana, you are not hungry." Take that dieters! ;) ER is very motivating in itself (journey excluded) and now I am exploring how much I am able to save and on how little money I feel comfortable retiring.

@wolf: It is definitely early retirement. But it seems that there are great landmarks on the way, FI being one of them (I suppose you could be FI, but still work for more financial security/more income/other reasons?) Realizing, for example, that I have FU money made me smile (and it still does).