un-lurking

Say hello!!
TheProcess

un-lurking

Post by TheProcess »

I have been inspired slash maybe a bit shamed into posting here. I have been reading the blog/forum since (oh jeez) 2009. Basically after graduating from college it took less than a month before I came home and asked google how to retire as early as humanly possible.

Since then, I've made a lot of progress toward FI, and somewhat less progress toward the ERE/renaissance man ideal. Got married, bought a house, worked my ass off in a demanding career.

I posted a small amount under another username for a while (not in ages though), and have decided to make a new account in a possibly misguided attempt to preserve some anonymity on the internet.

In the past, I've posted somewhat rarely because, truly, it's tough to hang with the level of discussion around here, I'm always learning from the other forumites. I'm resolved to try to contribute, because this community has helped me a lot. It might be that my posts aren't too worthwhile at first, bear with me while I try to improve.

black_son_of_gray

Re: un-lurking

Post by black_son_of_gray »

TheProcess wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:25 pm
it's tough to hang with the level of discussion around here... It might be that my posts aren't too worthwhile at first, bear with me while I try to improve.
Honestly, I don't know how some of the power-posters here do it- such a large amount of well-formulated prose on a variety of topics! I definitely can't keep up. I do my best to try to add something when I can, and in the end it may just be a writing exercise for me to clear it up in my own head. But that's ok... Welcome back!

Astra

Post by Astra »

"it's tough to hang with the level of discussion around here"

Word! I am reading almost every day, and yet there is always more to read. At the end of a thread I often feel everything smart has been already said, so I am left with either making some bad puns or lurk unheard ;) I too hope my post quality will improve.

Nice to have you, will you be writing a journal?

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

I feel like I just post whatever whenever I feel like it. :lol:

Jason

Post by Jason »

TheProcess wrote:
truly, it's tough to hang with the level of discussion around here
So you're not reading my blog.

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen »

@jason seriously. I can’t imagine the eyerolls my posts generate. Oh wait. Yes I can. I just have to picture my wife reading them! :lol:

Jason

Post by Jason »

@soumalainen - At least your's has graphs. Fuck. At least your's has numbers. Mine looks like something Jack Kerouac left behind on a diner napkin when the benzedrine started kicking in.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

Jason wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:30 am
@soumalainen - At least your's has graphs. Fuck. At least your's has numbers. Mine looks like something Jack Kerouac left behind on a diner napkin when the benzedrine started kicking in.
Some of us even choose not to include numbers in our journals. 'word on the street goes that those non-numbers journals are actually more enticing to read for some ERE adherents. It turns out we're not a grey homogeneous bunch of number crunchers after all[1]

[1] Well of course we are, but there are EXACTLY enough number-deviants around to make the subculture-within-the-subculture sustainable.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

I had a real active year or two, now I mostly lurk. I even had a journal with charts and things but there's only so much you can write up about numbers, saving rates and cooking from scratch before you get bored.

I tend to only contribute my major milestones now, and stuff I think I know a reasonable amount about. I too worry about the invisible forum quality audit police when writing my posts, I know it's just my inner critic, INTPs really suffer with that :lol:

Jason

Post by Jason »

Sometimes the numbers posts do look like they were pulled off the wall of John Nash’s back yard shed.

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

Jason wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:44 pm
TheProcess wrote:
truly, it's tough to hang with the level of discussion around here
Laughing out loud is supposed to be therapeutic, but I'm still hiccuping. :lol:

TheProcess

Post by TheProcess »

So I was buried in work all week and am surprised to see this thread still on the 'active topics' page. Thanks everyone for the love.
black_son_of_gray wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:12 pm
Honestly, I don't know how some of the power-posters here do it- such a large amount of well-formulated prose on a variety of topics! I definitely can't keep up. I do my best to try to add something when I can, and in the end it may just be a writing exercise for me to clear it up in my own head. But that's ok... Welcome back!
Well I specifically had your 'ERE As Chess' post in mind when I wrote that, so, yeah!
Astra wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:46 am
Nice to have you, will you be writing a journal?
I will--hoping to do so tomorrow--stay tuned! I just caught up on yours, it's fascinating and unique and I hope you keep it up.
Jason wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:44 pm
[...]
Mine looks like something Jack Kerouac left behind on a diner napkin when the benzedrine started kicking in.
lmao :lol:
vexed87 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:47 am
I had a real active year or two, now I mostly lurk. I even had a journal with charts and things but there's only so much you can write up about numbers,
I've read that journal :) I'm always jealous when I see your location; I've heard Yorkshire is incredibly scenic (I'm an American and have never been there). I agree it's hard to come up with new stuff to write about in the journals. Still find things to learn in nearly all of them.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

An American that has heard of Yorkshire, impressive :lol:

Yes, we're very lucky to live in such a beautiful county, lots to see and do if you like the great outdoors. :)