ERE UK

Say hello!!
hutchol

ERE UK

Post by hutchol »

Hello all! I am 25 and live in England. I came across ERE a couple of years ago, basically did nothing but read the blog for the next few days and then read the book. I'm an INTP, and basically just want to live the life of a gentleman scholar, not kowtowing to a load of morons. Having said that, I think I prefer the save quite a bit then work part time route rather than going all out for FI. I did an arts degree at a prestigious university, and just because that wasn't quite idiotic enough, then decided to become a teacher. I had an alright time training but I'm now in my first job and I hate it more than I ever thought possible. Looking for an out but don't really know what.

Spending currently £600-700 per month, split pretty much evenly between rent+bills and other expenses. I'd be interested to know what other people in the UK are managing- feel like it's a bit high but there isn't anything in the budget I'm really willing to sacrifice. Anyhow, thank you Jacob et al. for making life worth living!

wolf

Re: ERE UK

Post by wolf »

Welcome hutchol! Have you alread read some posts on this forum or is it the first time on the ERE-Forum?

chenda

Post by chenda »

Welcome :) sounds like your expenditure is very good - I got mine down to £500 but that was rent and mortgage free and with bill splitting. I'm guessing you're not in the South East ?

Seems lots of teachers who quickly grow to hate it! So you teach art then ?

Lemon

Post by Lemon »

Welcome

£600-700 a month is pretty good!

I am at ~700-900 depending on the month, but I live in the big smoke so rent is the largest portion of this (2/3).

hutchol

Post by hutchol »

@MDFIRE2024 thanks! I've read the posts off and on. I haven't posted before though.

@chenda ah no, I meant arts in the sense of arts/ humanities. I did German actually, which is what I'm now teaching (or trying to). I'm in the East Midlands, not that far from London but the rents aren't too bad. It's still about £170k for a two bed house, though, so I do want to relocate. Up north seems to be better, but that's only based on internet research. Congratulations on getting the mortgage paid (if you ever had one)! My first goal is to get a house paid off.

@Crazylemon we're probably about the same then, if you take the rent into account. The only things I could cut are music lessons, which I really enjoy, and the occasional meal out/ pub. I not bothered that much by the latter, but I'm involved in choirs and things like that have a social element, and I'm so unsociable that I want to completely absent myself from it. Do you want to stay in London? ERE must be pretty hard there.

chenda

Post by chenda »

If you stay in the public sector you can do quite well in the north from what I understand; average salaries go much further. One idea - town planning. You could probably walk into an entry level position in a local authority and train on the job. Very flexible career (can work anywhere in the UK, part time, full time, contract) and can earn high salaries in the private sector if your so inclined.