Another hi from DK

Say hello!!
mkalle

Another hi from DK

Post by mkalle »

Hello there.

Morten - 31years old - tuning in, i was not aware that i was looking for ERE untill i read about it in the danish newspaper. After only working 1-2 years in a "normal" 9-5 job, i got sad by the thought that this had to go on for ~40 more years before the next step was retirement.... Lots of stuff have happend in the past 10 years, i've managed to find a job i actually do like and save alot of money.
I do have alot saved up, and rough estimates say that i could retire tomorrow! i need to go through the numbers a few times, put correct numbers in instead of estimates and go though the bankstatements for the past 6 months.
But i dont feel ready for cutting the cord just tomorrow, afterall the workplace has been my 2nd home for the past 13 years (yes i started that early!).
Summer is coming, and id love to stay more outdoors, maybe use my outdoor instructor education teaching sea kayaking.

I have read a bit on the forums, and i am inspired by peoples history here, it makes me rethink alot of old concerns and its good to hear others have the same thoughts about the world we live in today. I'm not here in this world to serve any particular company, the most important career in my life is my own well being and satisfaction.

Im curious about one thing though, are you lads/women "worried" about all the freetime you are going to have on your hands(Starring directly into the emptiness)? i'm a pretty restless guy and one thing a job does for me, is keeping me occupied. luckily its also a challenging job that i have and i get bored quite fast with repetitive task.

Best's
Morten

nb. NEVER thought i would post on another forum again! used to get alot of advice on car fixing ALOT of years about, since then ived only "consumed" formus and people's already asked questions.... guess the saying "Never say never" is quite vaild :-)

wizards

Re: Another hi from DK

Post by wizards »

Hello Morten,

Welcome - nice to see one more Dane.

Well done becoming FI that early.

I would recommend to plan your retirement, not necessarily in detail, but maybe have a few plans/goals you would like to chase.

I'm only semiretired (working a few hours a day from home) but with two small boys, a house and a bike I like to ride, there is still not enough hours in a day ;-)

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Welcome Morten!

> Im curious about one thing though, are you lads/women "worried" about all the freetime you are going to have on your
> hands(Starring directly into the emptiness)?

Nope. There are things I want to do and work interferes with them. I've got a garden, fishing, clamming, beachcombing, kayaking/boating, scenic hiking/bicycling territory, wildlife, cutting/splitting firewood, old cars, machine tools, woodworking tools, video games (racing), books, movies/TV, the internet, cooking, a house and a spouse to keep me occupied.

I can see someone like yourself trying out different jobs for their entertainment value with comfortable breaks in-between once you are ready to not want this particular job.

knap82

Post by knap82 »

Hi, Morten

Great job - and yes I can follow your concerns about looking into the emptiness of retirement - I think is something you need to give quite a lot of thought before pulling the plug.

Even though I am just in the beginning of ERE I know that I will need some kind of plan to really fill the hours - and I can easilly see my self only using my retirement only partly and still have some kind of job. At least that's how I think about it at this moment - I am thinking of following some of the principles in ERE but I am not going for the full monty - I like the thought about saving up for the freedom to do as I please for traveling, creating a business or what ever - but the thought on withdrawel totally can scare me in some way.

But it's kind of silly because I really just on the first tiny baby steps.

How have you invested your money?

And can you tell a bit on how your cash flow is created - where are your payments coming from?

/knap

Eureka

Post by Eureka »

Hi from yet another Dane,

So interesting to read about your worries on how to spend your time after you quit working. I am just the opposite, I have so many things I cannot do while I work due to lack of time: More yoga, more outdoors, long walks and quietness, study and learn new things, grow more of my own food and, not the least, spend more time with people of my choice and who resemble me more than those random individuals who happen to be hired at the same place as I am.

My experience is that once I don't spend all my time in one occupation lots of little (or bigger) opportunities pop up all the time and they will more than fulfil my needs to do 'something'.

All the best,

Eureka

PS: Did you see that we are in the process of arranging a meetup in Copenhagen? viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7847