What's your actual age and sex?

Say hello!!
slacker

Post by slacker »

hmm...demographics...alexa says ' Earlyretirementextreme.com's audience tends to be users who browse from home; they are also disproportionately childless women and college graduates earning over $60,000.
Well...everything except the suggestion that most boarders are women seems to make perfect sense.
High income: most liley, atleast the way we understand the term here, in the context of cash-flow
disproportionately childless: you bet!
college grads: Most are I guess.
most here are women: what????? that doesn't seem to be the case at all. AFAIK, there are very few women here, unless a disproportionately large percentage of the non-posting lurkers are women. Or maybe it's just that gender was never brought up much before and the avatars are not suggestive (very few have one even)...and the names are mostly alphabets ;) ( I know of two atleast: M,and then S )
anyway...this is news to me..

TheWanderingScholar

Post by TheWanderingScholar »

@slacker: I really like to write but in these times writing for income is EXRTEMELY hard and I don't feel like selling my soul and health to a computer screen. Also I don't feel like working way into my fifties until I can retire. Those two reasons are why I started looking Personal Finance and eventually ERE. :)

Chad

Post by Chad »

38 and male

Matt

Post by Matt »

34 male
@Bakari: Could you post your SSN and checking account # as well? If so, I'll split a $1.5 million windfall with you. It seems I've won the Nigerian national lottery. Again.

Dienekes

Post by Dienekes »

39 male

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

@Surio
After doing a 30 year stint in the military, one's skin is so thick the clinics can't find long enough needles to hit a vein.
Differences of opinion are what I live for.

B

Post by B »

Seems as though I'm a fairly typical member of this forum.
Name: Another letter of the alphabet

Sex: Male

Marital Status: Single

ERE Status: Working Stiff

Savings Rate: 70%

RobBennett

Post by RobBennett »

I'm a 54-year old male. If I play my cards right, I think I might have a chance of making it to 55.
Rob

Maus

Post by Maus »

Maus is 49 y.o. male
@Slacker

I think the thing that's throwing you off about the Alexa data WRT "female > male" is that there may very well be more females commenting on the blog, but more males posting in the forums.
I for one appreciate the diversity of experiences and opinions found on these forums. I wish I had a resource like this when I was in my twenties, then I might already have been retired for many years. But 52 will be soon enough!

Mo

Post by Mo »

35, Male

orinoco

Post by orinoco »

31, Male

slacker

Post by slacker »

@youngandwise: good for you to have realized this early that writing for a living is as impossible as it gets to earning a steady stream of income-be it fiction,non-fiction, or even blogging :) Only freelancing seems to be a (barely) decent wage-earner, but only after you've struggled for years and networked enough. But then, the money just trickes in, and you'll have to freelance for life. NO ERE for the average freelancer I guess...but the quality of the freelance life is, I believe, infinitely better than that of the average cubicle rat.
I'd only differ with your observation of it being difficult in these times: it has been difficult since time immemorial. Think writers of the days gone by,and you're thinking either patricians or almost-homeless drunks. That's for a reason.
And the staring-at-the-computer-screen routine can start to suck after a while..I should know..I spend 16-18 hours a day doing just that...but the money's not bad..so...well...endure,sock away the money, and ERE is what I'm looking at.
I wouldn't have survived trade school etc..so this was my best bet.
Anyway,good luck with being FI, you still have a whole lifetime to get there :)

slacker

Post by slacker »

@maus: Yes...I guess that could be a reason...
BTW...I'd have never imagined such a diverse crowd in a retirement forum before. As a matter of fact, I was/am a regular lurker at another forum,and quite a popular one at that, where retiring at 50 is considered kinda ERE...and the young dreamers section had 40 year olds ;)

slacker

Post by slacker »

and..oh..I forgot:
27, male

rufousdog

Post by rufousdog »

As I anticipated there is apparently disproportionately large ratio of males to females. What I don't understand is why there are so many young people here (ages 15-30). Are they already retired, wanna-be retirees or just not being truthful about their ages?

Bakari

Post by Bakari »

@AlexOliver

divorced (no prenup, no court... oh wait, wrong topic), no kids (one cat), about $15,000 including my RV, vegetarian, live in CA but currently at US Coast Guard mechanic school in VA
@Matt

yeah.

not so much

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

35 (for another month), male, shoots left

B

Post by B »

@rufousdog

I'm in the young people age range you specified. I'm still young enough to Retire Extremely Early and I'm working towards it. I got the impression most people on this board fell into that category. What's not to understand?

AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

@rufousdog: ERE takes 5-10 years, so theoretically one could be retired at 21 or 23, depending on when they started working, how long they've been working, what the pay is/was, how much they spend, etc.
You'll find this forum isn't as much, "We retired! Look at all the cool things we do!" as much as, "This is how I plan to retire, what do you think?"
Most of the posters on the forum are wannabe retirees, not just the ones 15-30.
The ratio of men:women is disproportionate, but not nearly enough to say there are no women here.

jerry

Post by jerry »

I am 57, male and retired since November.