Hello fine people

Say hello!!
niemand

Hello fine people

Post by niemand »

This forum is a treasure trove. Thanks everybody for sharing your pearls of wisdom and experience here.

Time to unlurk and chime in.

Cheers from the land down under where beer does flow and men chunder.

DutchGirl

Re: Hello fine people

Post by DutchGirl »

Welcome. So, Australia?

I saw in another thread that you are relatively close to being FI (a few more years?). Nice. Congrats.

Did

Post by Did »

Welcome. Aussie here too but escaped for a while.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

It's like being on a hippie trail with a head full of zombie.

Does this mean we better run, we better take cover? :lol:

niemand

Post by niemand »

I’ve been staying in Australia for the past 4 years. Originally I’m from that big country to the east of yours @Dutchgirl, but haven’t lived there for more than 10 years.

You could say I too escaped @Did, although not quite sure from what. Maybe it’s just wanderlust. Before Australia I spent a few years in South East Asia. Before that I graduated from uni and worked in the UK, and met the DF who is from SEA (makes sense?). Basically I have been on the move since leaving high school, spending a couple of years here and there in France, Africa and the Middle East, living off uni scholarships, local employment and/or generous parents, saving nothing but learning and experiencing loads. Savings only started to pile up since my first “real job” in the UK.

Although you might very well say it’s been like a hippy trail @Dragline, there’s no need to take cover, and I couldn’t possibly comment on the zombie :lol: . In fact, my life is getting more and more settled. The time spent in one place before moving to another is getting longer and longer. A wedding is looming. The trail may be coming to an end, and I will happily stay put...

On the finance side, the DF (soon to be DW) and I are making strong strides towards 25 years of Aussie expenses saved and should have them in the bag – ceteris paribus – in 2,000 days or so.

niemand

Post by niemand »

Update: Since I last introduced myself lots of new things have happened: a wedding was celebrated, a baby was born, a house was bought, and some FI assumptions had to be revised . . . I've started a journal to track my progress.

Dodo

Post by Dodo »

Moin Niemand,

after "unlurking" you obviously became Jemand to this forum, so thanks for your contributions and congratulations to your newly acquired status of full time husband and daddy. :)
It is amazing how you also manage to squeeze a new house in between those milestones.

May i ask, out of own interest, how you managed to get to work in some many different countries (applications/regulations/qualifications)? I myself am in the project-engineering field (energy technique) and playing with the thought of changing places (again), considering going oversees since i have no acute familiar bounds holding me but not actually knowing where to start (aside from the part that an english-speaking country would be the easiest, for obvious reasons).

Hope, everything is well and dandy down there,

greetings from the Vaterland and looking forward to more posts of yours,

D,

niemand

Post by niemand »

Dodo wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:33 am
May i ask, out of own interest, how you managed to get to work in some many different countries?
After high school I jumped at every opportunity to country-hop. Most of it was during my student days, when it was relatively easy to arrange for overseas studies or work experiences. I took some time off after high school and once in uni spent two years away doing several academic programmes and internships abroad. I ended up with a British Master's degree and my first "real job" was also in the UK. Due to EU citizenship there were no issues with visas or work permits. I worked as a Commercial Analyst, got (quite) good at what I do, and was given the opportunity to take on two consecutive overseas assignments with another company. Each time the company took care of the whole visa/permits stuff. The first assignment took me to South East Asia for three years, and the second one to Oz, which became Home.

If anybody wanted to do something similar I would say: work in a corporation that has overseas branches, have a skill-set that is not easy for the corporation to replicate and needed at the overseas branches, voice out your interest in an international assignment, don't be choosy when offered an assignment (the first can lead to others), get sent abroad. If you like it, get a permanent residency and go from there. I know that's easier said than done, but it can and has been done before... Good luck with your endeavours @Dodo!