Hello From WorkforceRefugee

Say hello!!
workforcerefugee

Hello From WorkforceRefugee

Post by workforcerefugee »

Hi. I’m a single male, age 42, INFJ, with a bit of OCD, and live in the Pacific Northwest region of the USA in a shared housing situation with my best friend.

I’m a poorly paid low-level office worker, but I excel at personal finance and investing is a love and a passion for me. I wake up every morning excited to see how the stock market is doing. I save about 30% of my income, but investment returns are doing the heavy lifting for me.

I hate my job, mostly because of 2 toxic people who hold positions of power over me. The work is also boring, repetitive, and takes up far too much of my time. I hate being confined in a small space with other people and all of their annoying behaviors. I’m trying to stay employed for at least a few more years while I build up my nest egg.

I have always disliked being a member of the workforce, mostly due to finding it so draining, on every possible level, to have to spend so much time in the company of others who are not of my choosing. Early retirement is the solution I’ve found. I just wish I’d figured it out sooner. I got serious about achieving early retirement in late 2014. I started saving for retirement around 2004, but hadn’t yet learned much about investing at that time.

I love this site. I feel like I’ve found my own kind. :) Are there any other INFJ’s here?

Fiddle

Re: Hello From WorkforceRefugee

Post by Fiddle »

Greetings!

I've done Myers Briggs a few times and get a variety of results, one of which is INFJ, the others are ENFJ and INTJ.

The main thing is you've found the site! :-) I've been enjoying and learning from the folks here for a few years and my financial understanding has increased heaps!

Shame about the toxic people you work with, I had similar in my previous job and I left as soon as I had stashed enough F-you money. Even before I was fully FI, I just couldn't hold on any more and the F-you money meant I didn't have too :-)

I found like many, the more I increased my savings rate % the more quickly I started finding new options in my work and financial situation

Good luck with your journey to Early retirement.

walker

Post by walker »

Hey, WorkforceRefugee. Welcome and congrats on your investing success. It would be interesting to hear more about your strategies if you'd like to share.

I'm an INFJ too (sometimes test as INTJ but I just feel more like a Counselor ;) ). Corporate environments are definitely not the best for Idealist types, so hope you're taking lots of breaks and making time for creative projects. What do you plan to do once you've reached FI?

workforcerefugee

Post by workforcerefugee »

Hi, Fiddle. Thanks for the welcome message, and good luck to you on your journey also. :)

Hi, Walker. Nice to hear from you. Thanks for the congrats!

My investing strategy is unconventional. I am reluctant to give many detail as I fear that would just bring out the naysayers. I started out just learning a lot about investing and the stock market. I used free tools such as those available from Morningstar, Market Watch, and Yahoo Finance to sift through data and find investments which met my high expectations.

When I reach FI, I would like to travel, try foster parenting, do volunteer work, get an adult trike and use it for grocery shopping and other transportation needs, go on a cruise, and find a woman I can enjoy spending the rest of my life with. I anticipate my focus in FI being on building enjoyable interpersonal relationships as that is where I believe true happiness comes from. I'm also interested in homesteading, and I could see myself buying a place in the country, eventually, growing a large garden, and keeping chickens and a goat or two. I would love to be mostly self-sufficient.

walker

Post by walker »

Very cool. That sounds like the ERE dream in a nutshell… adult trike and all.