Greetings from France

Say hello!!
FrenchGirl

Greetings from France

Post by FrenchGirl »

Hello all,
Well after a few month of reading though this forum, I am finally finding the courage to introduce myself.
I am 25 years old, living in Paris with my boyfriend. I have been working for a little less than 3 years now after a business school degree (master in finance) and the pleasure of spending money and living "the good life" has only last about 6 months for me :roll:
It was very quick for me to discover how empty it is to slave myself in the corporate world and try -desperately- to buy my hapiness in return. Everyday I look around at my colleagues and it really baffles me how satisfied they seem by such a bad deal. So they buy nice clothes, travel a lot, go to the restaurant every other night, go drink at the bar 5 times a week with such enthousiasm it makes me wonder if I don't come from another planet. :? :?

I am definitely out of this world !

So that's how I found myself perusing the internet looking for my peers! :D

I am desperate to leave my job and do something more meaningful (and I am actually quite close from doing it, I am soooo fed up). I know that the common way to do things here is to suck it up for 5-10 years until being FI and then quit. But I just can't. This is too much to handle.
I did the math, though, and if I stick to my career, I can be FI in 5 years, when I turn 30. And, yeah, it does sounds cool, but I just can't picture myself sacrificing the rest of my twenties like that.
I would rather push it another 10 years, but freaking enjoy those 10 years.

So my journey will be mainly about escaping the corporate world, reaching financial independance being more of a secondary objective.

Anyway, I am looking forward to share more with you guys. I will definitely start a journal to track my progress (especially if I leave my company, since I will have to pay even more attention to my spendings).

Cheers ! :D

Chad

Re: Greetings from France

Post by Chad »

FrenchGirl wrote: I am desperate to leave my job and do something more meaningful (and I am actually quite close from doing it, I am soooo fed up). I know that the common way to do things here is to suck it up for 5-10 years until being FI and then quit. But I just can't. This is too much to handle.
I did the math, though, and if I stick to my career, I can be FI in 5 years, when I turn 30. And, yeah, it does sounds cool, but I just can't picture myself sacrificing the rest of my twenties like that.

So my journey will be mainly about escaping the corporate world, reaching financial independance being more of a secondary objective.
Welcome. Everyone's journey and goals are different...that's not a negative. Good luck.

GPMagnus

Post by GPMagnus »

Bonne chance! and welcome!

FrenchGirl

Post by FrenchGirl »

GPMagnus wrote:Bonne chance! and welcome!
Merci! I am more than ready for the ride! :D
Chad wrote:
FrenchGirl wrote: I am desperate to leave my job and do something more meaningful (and I am actually quite close from doing it, I am soooo fed up). I know that the common way to do things here is to suck it up for 5-10 years until being FI and then quit. But I just can't. This is too much to handle.

Welcome. Everyone's journey and goals are different...that's not a negative. Good luck.
Chad wrote:

Hi Chad, thank you very much (for the welcome and the positive comment) I appreciate it! ;)

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Hello Frenchgirl, this is Dutchgirl :lol:

Welcome, and I will follow your journey with interest!

FrenchGirl

Post by FrenchGirl »

DutchGirl wrote:Hello Frenchgirl, this is Dutchgirl :lol:
Hi Dutchgirl, very nice to meet you! :lol: :lol:

Hankaroundtheworld

Post by Hankaroundtheworld »

Welcome, and it will be interesting to get some French perspective to ERE. I have met quite a few French expats around the world, and what I noticed is that many are afraid to get out of the lucrative Social Security system of France, and even students in France are demonstrating to keep those rights alive. While you seem to look for a different route, so interesting to hear if there is French revolution ongoing :-)

stoneage

Post by stoneage »

Salut Frenchgirl !

Nice to see some fellow citizen around here.
My situation is however quite different from yours : I'm in my mid 30's, living frugally, not earning much, and I'm working as a self employed engineer.

I'll be more than happy to read about your ride towards ERE, especially if you have tricks related to France.

stoneage

Post by stoneage »

many are afraid to get out of the lucrative Social Security system of France
Since french employees have no choice but to pay for it, they might as well benefit from it...