Bonjour

Say hello!!
CestLaVie

Post by CestLaVie »

Hi everyone,
I am a Frenchman currently living in the American South. I am 36 years old and newly retired. I have been reading Jacob's blog for a few months, but I have been working on my early retirement plans for years. Looking forward to get to know all of you!
Note: I am an INTJ

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

What's your story, Monsieur? Path to retirement, how you spend your time, etc.

CestLaVie

Post by CestLaVie »

Hi NYC ERE,
After graduating from engineering school in France, I came to the US for graduate school. I met my wife then. We were both savers. We graduated in 2001 with no debt and close to $100K in savings (saved from our graduate school stipends). My wife and I mostly worked for small biotech firms after that and we saved about 50-70% of our net income. We hit the stock option jackpot in 2008 which made ER, rather than ERE, possible. I retired in July 2010 (in reality I was laid off and decided to remain unemployed indefinitely).
As for spending my time, well, I have been called a renaissance man. I have many hobbies (vegetable gardening, wood working, building/fixing stuff, cooking, investing, gaming, etc...) and I never get bored. We are also thinking about buying a small RV and explore the US with our cats in tow.

Q

Post by Q »

I'd be interested in hearing about comparisons of France v. US (besides second hand info before). Was supposed to go to Italy this year before the Volcano incident, and then next year France, but, now everything is bumped...
Plus I would like to learn French...and maybe not forget it like my Mandarin Chinese
Welcome!