Token Australian Here

Say hello!!
Dusty

Token Australian Here

Post by Dusty »

Hi guys,

I just started reading this blog after following a random link. It was for nord's book titled "Extreme Early Retirement Military". Now I subscribe to Jacobs blog.

About Me:

I am 32, and live in Brisbane, Australia. I work as an Investigator in the Australian Defence Force.

I have been in the military for 8 years and am very ashamed/disappointed that I haven't done better financially with what is offered to me. I was slowly coming to realise and implement the tenants Jacob promotes but found this blog has helped a lot. Specifically the 21 day challenge (which I was moving towards slowly as I nutted out each step but Jacob has detailed it well)

Next month I move aboard my yacht, sell my car and buy a 250cc motorbike and tonight I ate my first Pilaf which surprisingly tasted real good.

I hike, enjoy yachting (the cruising aspects more than the racing(which is good because it is also now my home(salute to your RV Jacob))), enjoy problem solving which helps maintain the boat and bike, read a lot, and am excited/stoked that I took the red pill and have awoken from mindless existence.

Anyway hi guys.

Dusty.

Chad

Re: Token Australian Here

Post by Chad »

There used to be some other Australians on here. I'm not sure if they are still around. Welcome. We all make some money mistakes. Don't beat yourself up too bad. Just don't make the same ones going forward.

Aus_E_Expat

Post by Aus_E_Expat »

I am another "token Australian" but my circumstances are different.

I have not lived in Australia for over 25 years but hope to retire there sometime soon.

bigchrisb

Post by bigchrisb »

Another Aussie here. As a country with fairly high incomes, I've found its pretty easy to get a high savings rate here in Aus, if you adopt a few of the ERE principles.

I wonder how many other Aussies are on here, and if there is enough critical mass to organize a meet-up. I'm in the ACT, but in Sydney at least once a week.

Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Chad, Aus_E_expat, and Chris - thanks for taking to the time to reply.

Well thankfully I am not Token anymore and thankfully Frugality appeals to some aussies.

25 years is a long time Aus_E, I hope you have made trips home in the meantime otherwise you might be disappointed when you come back to retire - a lot has changed.

quite right Chris salaries are good but I have found the counter to that is generally us having 10% sales tax as well as income tax which is rather high - Mr Howard was fixing that but the people didn't understand.

Secondly, house prices are absurd as is rental costs. (Simply requires creative thinking, no it just requires thinking to come up with a viable solution).

I find myself in Canberra and Sydney several times a year so would be more than happy to share a beer or coffee with some like minded people. I have already been told I will be in sydney for aprox. 3 weeks at some but I dont know the exact dates - will keep checking forums and let you know.

Regards

Aus_E_Expat

Post by Aus_E_Expat »

Dusty - I do visit regularly and yes things have changed a lot.

My wife and children now live in Australia due to education so I now spend 1 week per month in Australia. Fortunately, my job allows me to work remotely for part of the time.

GandK

Post by GandK »

Welcome!