Hello from Adelaide

Say hello!!
Matty

Hello from Adelaide

Post by Matty »

Hi guys I discovered ERE about 5 months ago in my search for an alternative to the life set out before me. And what a find it was, I've always planned to save a significant amount of my income but the ERE model has given me much more clarity and structure to my goals. I've been lurking for awhile and have Just decided to join the forums and make a contribution.

I’m 23 and from Adelaide, Australia. Graduated with a Bachelor of Environmental Science in 2010. I’m currently on a graduate program with my states water utility.

I really enjoyed my time at university for several reasons. I made some great friends with similar interests, learned a lot about a number of interesting topics and who can forget 3 months of summer holidays plus several 2 week holidays throughout the year. At the end of three years I am in $21k of debt but overall feeling that I gained good value from the experience.

In Australia the government subsidises the cost of university education in addition to providing a loan to students for the remainder which is adjusted to CPI each year. This system is called HECS and payback is linked with the tax system, payments only start once your income reaches a certain amount (approx $49k), if your income goes below that level, payments stop. Technically that means I could keep my income below this level and never have to repay my loan, who knows how this system might change in the future however. Overall it is an okay system however it makes it very easy for people to go to university just because it is the next logical step. HECS and university entry is mostly automatic.

Throughout university I chose to work very little and spend very little, I lived with my parents about 10 minutes drive from my campus so it was a pretty good set up. I received a small student allowance from the government during my three years, which was enough to sustain me (I even managed to save a bit).

I had a year off between uni and starting my current position. Partly because I couldn’t get a job in my field straight away and partly because I was happy to take a year off after 16 years of straight education to see what happens.

I spent my “gap year” rather ERE style, pursuing various interests and projects, but overall taking it easy and enjoying life. I spent a fair bit of time playing in a band, we recorded an EP, did some small tours, we broke even , maybe even made a small amount of money. I also bought an old campervan and spent a fair bit of time (and money) on restoration, mostly on bodywork and interior but still learning a lot along the way; I found this to be a very satisfying experience. Add in social events, beach trips, plenty of hiking, several camping trips in the van, a controlled amount of video games but no commercial tv and that sums up my year. It was pure bliss. I was actually surprised at how “busy” I was, although I never felt worn out. A few months in to my gap year I secured a position on a graduate program starting the following year so I always knew I had something waiting for me at the end.

Come 2012 and my first experience of the 9-5 begins. Overall it is a great place to work. I have flexible hours so I can start between 8-10am and leave between 4-6pm, I can work more some days and less others as long as I make up my required hours at the end of the month. I can build up additional hours and take a day off once a month if I like. I get 4 weeks holidays a year, which is standard in Aus. Working in the environmental management field I get to get out of the office for “site visits”. I earn $60k per year (45k post-tax and HECS payments) with the likelihood I will be earning between $75 and $85k in the next few years.

The work is very low stress, but I often find myself bored and with little to do. I find myself with little motivation to do the work that I do have and often leave it to the last minute, spending an unhealthy amount of time procrastinating, browsing the internet etc. I have found similar experiences from people I have spoken to in other graduate positions.

I feel depressed by the sight of hundreds of people on the train, travelling the same route every day, engrossed in their iPhones, bad posture; sitting in the same office doing work of questionable importance. Effectively wasting the human experience. I feel even worse to know that I am now one of them. For the time being anyway.

That’s enough for now. I’ll be starting a Journal soon focusing on the financial side of things.

See you around ☺

DutchGirl

Re: Hello from Adelaide

Post by DutchGirl »

Welcome! Sounds like you are awake and aware of what you don't want from life, and what you do want. I'm curious how you'll plot your escape from the nine-to-five; looking forward to your posts.