Howdy!

Say hello!!
Beaudacious

Post by Beaudacious »

So a fellow forum member sent me a sweet message requesting an update, so I figured I would share my news with the forum at large.
I wrapped up my time in the Middle East last month and am currently stationed in Japan for at least 2 years. I'm probably an hour train ride from Tokyo. This country is awesome... It's been my dream to live here ever since I joined the Navy. The food is small but satisfying. The people are nice and pleasant to be around. All sorts of places to visit, whether it's the big city, the beach, mountains, or a shrine in the countryside. Everything I could want in a duty location. Expensive if you're non-ERE, but geo-arbitrage for me.
I've committed to another 6 years of service, which will put me a little under 10 total. Seems like I'm heading in the direction of 20 years, but I'm putting away savings so that it won't be necessary.
Also, got married this year. Remember the San Diego frugalista? Our wedding was at the courthouse of my hometown with immediate family from both sides. That leave period was a hectic logistical nightmare, but worth it. Now I'm trying to get the wife to think about ERE as well. She's working her way through the book, but so far she says that this guy is basically saying the same thing that I've been telling her throughout our relationship. Sorry Jacob... Stole your thunder.
While on that leave, I worked a few days at a good friend's brewery. I enjoyed the product and experience so much that now I'm a partial investor. It's a small percentage of my portfolio, so even if he does go belly-up, it won't send me too far back financially. (Obligatory plug time) So if you happen to be in the DFW area, look for Firewheel Brewing Co. on draft at some of the fine bar and restaurant establishments (if they don't carry it, demand they get it). They also do tours. His pale ale is his signature. (End of plug)
This week I turn 26. 25 was certainly eventful.

vivacious

Post by vivacious »

You have the best military job possible--Japan for 2 years. I have visited and I love it also. Update us about your life in Japan if you can.
Also, how are people recovering from the disaster? Are they ok? Is it safe from a nuclear standpoint? Hope things are ok.
The only thing I don't really like about Japan is the cost of living, which is one of the highest in the world, but the culture, films, and everything else are amazing.

Beaudacious

Post by Beaudacious »

I've only been here for a month, so I really can't make much of a statement on the recovery. Also, Fukushima prefecture is the area that was hit hardest, which is quite a distance north from where I live.
Here is a news story on Japan two years after the disaster.
The area that I am in seems to be moving along. Don't know how safe I'll be... it's either I'll be fine or my disability check will be huge once I get out...
I agree with you that the cost of living is very high, but yen has been taking a hit (currently around 95 to the dollar). My plan is to limit my excursions to about once a month while taking advantage of my CoL-Adjustment to build my savings up, similar to what I did in the Middle East. Looking forward to a climb up Mt. Fuji in August as well as a sumo tournament in September.

Beaudacious

Re: Howdy!

Post by Beaudacious »

Wow... it's been a while since I've been on the forums, but I figured I'd give an update as I'm approaching the milestone of 30. So let's speed through 4 years in a post.

When I last posted, I lived outside of Tokyo soaking up the culture while saving as much as I could to prepare my eventual life back in the states with my wife. Unfortunately, for those two years I spent it alone as my spouse was attending grad school. And those years took a toll... when I moved back to the states, we couldn't make up for all of the time away. So we split (amicably), and I ended up in San Diego back on the grind.

Since then, I traveled to various parts of Asia for work, stood by my family as my mom passed, tried polyamory (don't think it's for me), lightened my workload as much as I could... and also hit my FI goal of 300k in what I thought would take me 10 years (took less than 8). I may be up for one last deployment before my contract ends and that will be my last for good; I'm hanging up my dog tags for good and moving on to something else. Don't know if I'll stay in Southern California, but I do know that I'm game for opportunity.