New college grad here!

Say hello!!
mindfulmonk

Post by mindfulmonk »

I want to say that I feel incredibly lucky to have found such a powerful set of ideas as ERE, being a new college graduate. I am also incredibly lucky for having the opportunity to go to college for free due to a scholarship.
My goals:
1) Don't ever work a full time desk job.

2) Become financially independent by age 30 (7 years from now).

3) Live a minimalist, sustainable and resilient lifestyle

4) Find a mentor who understands my goals and can guide me.
I just recently graduated with a computer engineering degree. I am a good programmer and student, with a 3.8 GPA. I've interned at major engineering corporations and received excellent work reviews. But I've been VERY unhappy with the corporate environment. Everything is based on hours spent as opposed to results obtained. I don't want to sit at my desk, I want to get the job done and go home!
Another problem I've been having: I don't want to specialize. Ever since I was a kid I have been interested in learning about everything. My parents took this as a bad thing and told me to sit down and "stick with one thing", and I've tried, but I feel stunted because of it.
So my plan is to learn new skills and build my Craigslist-based business (I absolutely love the business... it's a niche with endless variety). I'm going to live with my parents for free so I feel like I'm a bit of a loser but I want to save up money to invest!
Would love to meet some people to chat with over the net about this kind of thing. My friends and family think I'm crazy for being "such a good student" and "throwing it all away". I could use advice from someone who gets it and can assure me that I am not crazy for having these goals!

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Someone like you can become extremely valuable to a small business. A smart technical guy that does not specialize is hard to find. Specialization is easier and pays better.

mindfulmonk

Post by mindfulmonk »

Thanks for the welcomes, guys. Exciting stuff. Can't wait to delve into the details of this forum

arrrrgon

Post by arrrrgon »

I'd go the specialization route. I work for a small business and I handle any IT job that comes up, but the problem is they end up expecting you to basically specialize in everything. It's a nice environment, but if you want to ERE in 7 years then specialize and get a larger paycheck. You can branch out once you're FI.

Seneca

Post by Seneca »

There are many books that encourage developing wide skillsets for success in the corporate world after you get your university degree. The right engineering job certainly does value this.
In my company the highest paid people are not the PhDs in physics and engineering that you lock up in a cube to do the hardcore modeling and design work for our semiconductor devices. The highest paid non-execs are the engineers who developed themselves into being adept at technical marketing and sales. They also have by far the most control of their time.
Second to the marketeers/sales, I'd probably put the lab rats. The best ones spend lunchtime in salvage shops and at swap meets on weekends. Many of these guys end up running c-list/e-bay businesses almost because they can't help it, but in most companies it's not a great springboard to go up the corporate ladder if that matters. Any manager with half a brain doesn't mess with a good lab guy (especially as less and less managers are adept in the lab), so it's relatively politic-free.
Certain engineering disciplines value specialization more than others, but I still think within this you can find a broad range.
I wouldn't dissuade you from your current path, but I'd also suggest keeping your eye open on opportunities in engineering. I've had a ridiculous amount of fun in my corporate engineering time.

dalralmi

Post by dalralmi »

You are most definitely not crazy. I wish when I graduated College I had taken my father's offer of living at home for minimum rent instead of getting an apartment closer to my job. (The regret here is huge considering he had an entire "dorm style" apartment in the backyard garage so I wasn't even inside the house).
I majored in Electrical Engineering because I love math and though I still love math... I find the daily cube and grinding not suited for me. My mom thinks I'm insane for having such "prized" skills and throwing it all away to some extent by not wanting to continue to earn "big bucks."
Welcome to ERE. The corporate Engineering lifestyle is definitely not for everyone. I think you will do just fine.