Hey guys

Say hello!!
BeyondtheWrap

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

Hey, I'm a new reader, having discovered this blog a couple of weeks ago. I read a bunch of self-help blogs, some of which are about minimalism, which I find very interesting. I found this blog through a link, and since then I can't get enough of it.
I'm currently in college, with a major in mathematics because I'm good at that. When I graduate, I'll only have about $20,000 in loans. If I can get a good job right after graduating, and continue living at home for a while, it's very possible to pay off my loans in the first year, which sounds a lot more appealing than the usual 10-year plan.
Then I'll be able to start saving for ERE, if I choose to go that path. Hopefully my math degree will help me get a job that will enable me to save up a lot. I also have an interest in acting (I'm a theatre minor now), and I figure if I achieve financial independence, I'll be better able to spend my time pursuing acting without starving.
The path of ERE will certainly be challenging for me. I know I can be frugal if I need to be, but I also can be frivolous if I'm able.
Freeing myself from possessions may be difficult for me since I really like souvenirs and hold onto almost everything, but a scanner and a digital camera can help me somewhat with that.
Another challenge will be that I wish to pursue acting in one of the big cities associated with the entertainment industry (I live in NYC with my family but am considering moving to LA sometime in the future), and those cities have high housing costs. So that will probably delay my ERE.
Most of this is just me thinking right now.
Anyway, I think this forum was a great idea, and I can't wait to see what stimulating conversations will arise here!