Just wanted to introduce myself

Say hello!!
bibacula

Post by bibacula »

In the mid-1990's, I read "Your Money or Your Life", and the book totally changed my outlook on life. The financial part of the book, which explains cutting expenses and increasing savings to fund early retirement, made perfect sense to me. I followed the plan and started building savings rapidly.

When I was laid-off in 2001 at the tender age of 34, I wasn't sure if I really had enough, but I didn't want to get back into the rat race again. Since then, I've traveled around the world and lived in a few Asian countries. Most of the time, I've taught English because I enjoy the work and good schools provide a work visa.

I started reading the ERE blog in 2008, and I've been lurking ever since. I just posted on another thread, and I thought that people may want to know who I am.

In a month, I'm moving back to the U.S., and I'm just as nervous to move back as I was to leave! For the last five years, I've been living in Taiwan, which has a wonderful universal health care system. I'm still sorting things out for my return.

Meliora

Post by Meliora »

Welcome to the forums, Bibacula!

I really love how you turned being laid off into an opportunity to travel the world: quite an inspirational story indeed.

Looking forward to reading more from and about you :)

ktn

Post by ktn »

Curious - why are you returning to the US?

bibacula

Post by bibacula »

@ktn: I'd planned on living overseas for a few years, so I'm surprised that I stayed for a decade! I've always liked to do new things, and I feel like I'm stuck in a rut. It's time to start a new chapter in my life.
I have a chance to spend the winter in ski country, so I'm going to be a ski bum this winter. I haven't been skiing in three years, and I'm really looking forward it.
It's kind of hard to think about skiing now, though. I finished my teaching contract in June, and I've been having too much fun on the beaches in Malaysia. I know that I'll miss this too, when I leave, but I can always come back to visit. :)