Hi from the UK

Say hello!!
movetoportugal

Post by movetoportugal »

I'm Laura and I'm looking to move to Portugal in 2012.
I've followed Jacob's blog since the beginning and love his advice. I'm currently looking to move my husbands retirement age from 50 to 40, he's 31 at the moment; I'm already 45 so it's too late for ERE!! ;-)
Looking forward to participating in the forum

futuredoctor

Post by futuredoctor »

Hi Laura. Do you feel it easy to translate Jacobs advice to your own life in the UK? I'm just wondering because I might like to live there for a while =)

movetoportugal

Post by movetoportugal »

Hi futuredoctor. Yes I do, although it does depend on where you live.

A Brit

Post by A Brit »

Another one from the UK here. Age 40 and looking to bail out of the full time job between six months from now to five years from now.
@futuredoctor: not sure that Jacob's blog is "advice"; more just a telling of his experience. The principles, of course, apply to the UK as they do to anywhere with surplus wealth and a consumerist social element. The details (particularly tax implications, housing costs and health care) are somewhat different.
One of the many good aspects of the internet is that this blog is just one of a portfolio that reflect a capitalist but anti-consumerism philosophy. This combination is new - at least to me and maybe to the UK and beyond. In the past, anti-consumerism tended to be associated with leftist viewpoints (or the aristocracy who have always been the most frugal people you could ever hope to meet).

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@A Brit - You got it. I thus get in trouble with both capitalists and anti-consumers from expressing opposing viewpoints. It is new as in I haven't seen someone write about it to the extent I do. I'm definitely not the first to do it though.
It's like being a libertarian and discussing social issues with traditional right wingers and economic issues with traditional left wingers.

gibberade

Post by gibberade »

Brit - you're insights are right on! It didn't really occur to me the novel mix of capitalism and anti-consumerism that's on this blog.

For several years I've been a proponent of capitalism, the free market, democracy, and so on, but I've always been troubled by the market failures, especially regarding the environment. I think one solution (there's probably more) is here in this blog: capitalistic anti-consumerism. It's a wonderful oxymoron.
In university I'm studying Economics and the Environment. This discussion is very relevant.
Laura : sorry to take this thread way off topic. I don't think it's too late for you to retire! It's never too late. But good on you for supporting your husband. Good luck.