Hello from Scotland, UK

Say hello!!
Runer

Hello from Scotland, UK

Post by Runer »

Hello all,
I can't recall how I came across ERE but it tapped into my nature very strongly. I read the book over Xmas last year, and then gave it to my sister to read and she seemed to become enthusiastic. My SO and kids aren't so enthusiastic which is problematic but I've managed to re-focus a lot of our daily spend into being more effective.
Even so, I can't say I'm living ERE yet, and retirement seems a long way off. We are fully debt free, owning 1.5 houses (our own, half of a rental), and have perhaps 5x (pre-ERE book discovery) annual spend in pension funds which are untouchable for 13 years, and perhaps 3x in accessible financial assets.
I'm highly interested in how to optimise these portfolios, and enjoy much of the investment discussion I find here at ERE.
I'm not working at the moment, I worked in SW consultancy for the last 18 years, but decided to take a break this summer. A bit of a risk, but my SO works part-time so it's not too risky quite yet. During this time I've taken to our allotment big time and I'm a bit worried how much I'm enjoying it...
cheers,

R
Last edited by Runer on Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Welcome!
Gardening in your allotment *should* be enjoyable... if it isn't, then why would you? :-)
How much of your expenses does the rental income cover?

Shandi76

Post by Shandi76 »

Welcome djc2! Always good to see a fellow Scot on the boards :-)

Runer

Post by Runer »

@George: the rental income barely covers 5 to 10% . The house is a family inheritance and very rural, not well placed for renting. It is my DWs and I don't have much say in what happens to it apart from advice.
@Shandi76: :-) sorry to disappoint but I'm a Lancashire man. My DW is the Scot, a pure Highlander :-)