Romania - the ERE country

Say hello!!
DanielT

Re: Romania - the ERE country

Post by DanielT »

Sky, thanks! It's amazing how long time it has been since I started this post and how far along my ERE journey I am now. While I no longer crave the ERE lifestyle, I really want to get a sabbatical. Next year I will it will be 20 years in the work force and it's a good time to celebrate with a year off.

Bigato,

Long time no see, I need to get up to speed on your story. You were pretty active back when I was following the forums 6 - 7 years ago. How are things going for you?

Best!
Daniel

FIRE 2018

Post by FIRE 2018 »

Is Romania welcoming of immigrants?

DanielT

Post by DanielT »

FIRE 2018 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:55 pm
Is Romania welcoming of immigrants?
Sorry for late reply.

Yes, we are welcoming as a people, however the laws are like anywhere in Europe, you have to go through a lot of hoops to get a resident visa or a work permit.
Romania is loosing population fast, because a lot of Romanians have emigrated to western Europe and the birth rate is lower than the death rate.

However, it remains one of the cheapest countries in Europe from a cost of living perspective. For example a brand new house with 1300 sf, and 5000 sf lot, 30 minutes from Bucharest is about $110K - $130K. A one bedroom flat in Buchrest in a good area near metro is $60k - $70k. In Bucharest, rents are $300 - $500 for a studio / 2-bedroom apartment (500 sf) in a good area.

I have an american friend whom I want to persuade to move to Romania for a year, document his experience and if he likes it, create a business advising other Americans to follow suit. :)

DanielT

Post by DanielT »

bigato wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:13 pm
Hey Daniel! As it was in your case, life happened and that led me away from the forums and from ere itself for quite a while. But I'm back since about the end of 2018 or so, and planning to quit the job in 2021! :)
Wow! Nice, I hope your dream will be fulfilled in 2021!