Didn't know I was part of a movement...

Say hello!!
AmazingRadish

Didn't know I was part of a movement...

Post by AmazingRadish »

Growing up in the Midwest with walking the mall and Jordache blue jeans, I never felt I fit in with my sensible boots and Garanimals type wardrobe. Into my 20's and 30's, family made fun of my second-hand golf clubs at the fancy country club. Or the wrinkled face I'd get when my Mom would come to visit and find the same 2 outfits in my closet that I wore to work over and over again. No mention of the gardening or running gear. "Oh honey, let me take you shopping...."

Later, I used my so-called stockpile (of money) to take several years off work to travel and live abroad. Worked a little more then took off again to care for those same family members when they needed help. As my stockpile decreased ever so slightly over the years, I decided to learn some new tech skills, and in my 50's I'm looking to go find a data position somewhere and see what that's all about.

What I've learned is that even though I grew a pretty think skin in opposition to the American attitudes and spending sprees of the 80's, 90's and beyond, finding a book and a forum that speaks to the way I think has been magical. A huge sigh of relief actually. I'm looking forward to participating and learning even more.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Didn't know I was part of a movement...

Post by jacob »

A movement is just a big enough mass of people changing their behavior and getting detected by the mainstream. It doesn't need to have a central organization or indeed any organization. A movement is but enough people following the same ideas and making roughly the same changes relative to the status quo.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIRE_movement

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Welcome! It was great finding this place years ago. Most people IRL around me rejected my lifestyle. Especially my family. They can be really judgy. Happy to be me. Happy to be here!

Crusader

Post by Crusader »

AmazingRadish wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:36 am
Or the wrinkled face I'd get when my Mom would come to visit and find the same 2 outfits in my closet that I wore to work over and over again. No mention of the gardening or running gear. "Oh honey, let me take you shopping...."
This sounds familiar. Over the years, I have gotten my mom to finally agree to the idea that the only thing I wish for my birthday is for her to get me nothing. I still have clothes she bought me that I don't wear.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Welcome to the forum!

J_

Post by J_ »

AmazingRadish wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:36 am
, family made fun of my second-hand golf clubs at the fancy country club. Or the wrinkled face I'd get when my Mom would come to visit and find the same 2 outfits in my closet that I wore to work over and over again
Recognizable for me, when DW and me (28 years ago) downgraded from two cars of which one was a big Citroen Limousine to one small delivery van, my Mom refused to join me for a ride....

AmazingRadish

Post by AmazingRadish »

Thank you for the warm reception. Feels great.