Long time ERE first time poster

Say hello!!
WFJ

Long time ERE first time poster

Post by WFJ »

Read ERE in 2014, had loosely followed this lifestyle most of my post graduation life (mid-1990's). Read "Millionaire Next Door" when it was released (1996) and immersed Emerson and Thoreau (Dead white guys) in high school which I would estimate are the three books/authors most responsible for my financial life well-being. The most recent book that is driving my thought is "Logic of Failure" which can loosely be applied to ERE systems, evaluating feedback loops, keystone variables and other hidden dangers of using models for long term plans and decisions.

Despite, by some estimations, having barely been employed for most of my life, have achieved a SWR of 0.3% to 1% depending on location and ownership of a car. Still working, job is not a drain on time or energy and mainly serves as a way to pass time, secure health insurance and health care (very different terms). Background is in Math, Biology/Physics, Stats and Finance both in practice and academia. Most of the SWR is due to long term investing luck and avoiding any capital drawdowns (2000, 2007-2009, and recent virus sell-off created by far the best nominal and relative portfolio performance in 25 years).

My most pressing questions are regarding health coverage (ACA most likely after semi-retiring soon) and related health care issues. Health is probably the most vital, volatile and scarce asset/resource to aging ERE practitioners (Gen-Xer). Will post questions in these areas for honest and thoughtful feedback from like-minded individuals.

biaggio

Re: Long time ERE first time poster

Post by biaggio »

Are you located in the US?

bostonimproper

Post by bostonimproper »

That’s an impressive withdrawal rate! Welcome to the forum!

WFJ

Post by WFJ »

Based in the US. When I live in Asia, I don't own a car and budget is significantly reduced with only a small decrease in income.

My parents were also ERE and both grandfathers never borrowed a dollar in their lives, grew up in the rural Americas during the Depression where ERE was the only way to survive and not a choice. Their habits passed on to both parents and myself. Avoiding financial dislocations and not chasing trends (see crypto) has allowed my denominator to grow while my numerator is not much different than it was while I was in my 20's. These two factors allow the SWR to slowly grow over time.