Intro from Belgium

Say hello!!
gettingfired

Intro from Belgium

Post by gettingfired »

Hi everyone,

I've been a long time reader but just created my account today.
I am a 32yo Belgian very motivated to find my way out of the fulltime, all consuming workforce. I’ve been into frugality since I can remember. My grandmother used to make fun of me when I was 13 because I would save all the money I would get on my birthday. I definitely come from a more spender/materialistic family that pushes me to spend more and, in their words, carpe diem! God that annoys me.
I have been somewhat lucky with work in the past couple years. Good income, not too much stress at work, but 2020 came with an income cut and more pressure to show that I’m not just watching Netflix on my laptop.
I have about 10 years of expenses so the lower salary doesn’t stress me but I’m afraid it will just force me to work a more years. Furthermore, I considering having kids in the next few years and I would really like to work less if/when that happens, pushing the freedom day further down the line… anyway, I’m looking forward to be inspired by all of you!

Western Red Cedar

Re: Intro from Belgium

Post by Western Red Cedar »

Welcome to the forum. I've also experienced some minor pay cuts this year. It's a blessing not to worry and stress about finances in the midst of economic uncertainty. What are your short and long-term goals?

gettingfired

Post by gettingfired »

Western Red Cedar wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:38 pm
Welcome to the forum. I've also experienced some minor pay cuts this year. It's a blessing not to worry and stress about finances in the midst of economic uncertainty. What are your short and long-term goals?
Totally agree, such a huge blessing!
Honestly, I’m not sure what my goals are besides moving towards more freedom. One reason behind my lack of specific goals is that I know exactly how much I spend now, but I can only speculate what it will be like in the future. Kids or no kids is a big one (not for the cost of the kids in itself but more space = more expensive real estate); by myself or with my partner (I come from a family of divorced people, literally everyone got divorced… I want to be able to afford to be on my own even with kids), etc.
Long term I want money to not define what I do with my life and time. I guess that’s the main goal. Numbers-wise, for some reason I would like to have 1Million but I could be under the 3% SWR with less.
Short term (2021) I want to change jobs to either a good-paying job or a low work & stress paying job that still covers all my expenses. I can’t seem to make up my mind. I also need to fix my housing situation, which would bring down my expenses by about a third.

Mae

Post by Mae »

Welcome, from a fellow Belgian :-D

gettingfired

Post by gettingfired »

Mae wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:23 am
Welcome, from a fellow Belgian :-D
Thank you Mae!! I'm glad to see fellow Belgian likeminded people :)