New but nearly there

Say hello!!
WingsOnFire

New but nearly there

Post by WingsOnFire »

Hi guys!
I thought I'd introduce myself before I start reading more. I first stumbled upon minimalism, simple living and YMOYL about 12 years ago. I've spent hours and hours reading the ERE posts and finally got the book too.

Not going into my whole life story here, but I'm an entrepreneur and a visual artist (which means no steady pay cheque), currently sort of single mom to one pre-teen girl ( I just agreed to give my husband one more chance but we will not move in together any time soon, too many issues to work through, but we have been married 18 years today.. ) and I just made a decision to buy a small house. I can pay it with cash after I sell an apartment, but I have a very low fixed rate interest loan for 14 years so it makes sense to keep the loan I have and invest the difference. Yes, the apartment costs way more than the little house. I will have money to renovate the 30's log house, all 63 square meters of it (under 700 sqft), with quality natural materials. My net worth (I find that a bit funny term) is about 350 000 euros. I'll have a better idea after I sell the apartment.
I plan to garden and plant a field of flowers just because I love the beauty of them and they are good for butterflies and bees. The garden is a half an acre. Adjacent half an acre with an old barn was sold separately, and I regret a little not having the guts to buy that too. But this is more in line with ERE goals...

After renovations I should have about 150 000 left in investments. 225 000 if I choose to keep the 75K loan invested and not pay it off. I have no other debt whatsoever, I own my car and pay off my credit card every month. I didn't always used to.
My essential expenses (including my daughter's and our pets') will be around 1200 e /month (plus about 450 e mortgage should I keep it). That includes food, pets, daughter's (expensive) hobby, phone, internet, utilities, gas, insurances. But like I said, my husband contributes so that he pays for her hobby and more. The sum does not include an allotment for any special extra costs or purchases. I sew and knit a lot of our clothes so it's possible to spend quite little on clothing.I I still know living on 1200 /month is hard for me on the long run and I need to work on that.

My husband does contribute to our daughter's expenses. He makes way more than I do. So that really helps for now.
I do hope we can work things out, and maybe he can build a small house of his own on the land!

I'm well on my way to FI - I don't have the math quite down yet and as my income is variable it is harder to calculate how much more time I need. I do have some impulsive tendencies to tame to make that goal as soon as possible. I've kept a record of my spending and food etc. is pretty much a steady 300-320 e / month for us two. We don't eat out much and that is included in the sum.
We don't have a tv. I work from home. I order bulk groceries and have small shops nearby for small shop runs and they will continue to be within a walking /biking distance when we move to the little house.
When I buy STUFF I tend to buy quality, search if I can get it second hand, if not I'll usually wait for a sale. But I don't buy cheap crappy stuff. I get the thing I really want the first time round so no upgrading creep.

Life has been crazy. I'm used to being a non-conformist. Looking forward to reading your stories and learning more!

-WingsOnFire

rube

Re: New but nearly there

Post by rube »

Welcome, you have an interesting background and situation. I am curious about your non-conformist future updates and decisions.

WingsOnFire

Post by WingsOnFire »

Thanks :) I'll start a journal. It'll be a good way to keep myself accountable and sort through my own thoughts.

Vaikeasti

Post by Vaikeasti »

Welcome to the forums! I'm really looking forward to reading about your journey.