Just getting started

Say hello!!
RunFastBeKind

Just getting started

Post by RunFastBeKind »

Hello!

My name's Kathryn. I'm 18 and just finished my freshman year of college, and just getting started saving.

I'm currently working at a tech company over the summer and I work IT during the main year, so my income is small right now but I want to get intentional with how I spend/save as soon as possible.

I've been reading ERE for a long time (hundreds of hours throughout high school), and now that I have an income and (meager) savings I'm hoping to start putting everything into practice. The financial "models" in my life are very different from how I want to be, as my dad has a good engineering job and yet always seems to be struggling with a maxed credit card etc.

I realize I'm much younger than the average, so I'm looking forward to learning a lot from everyone else here. :-)
Last edited by RunFastBeKind on Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Alphaville

Re: Just getting started

Post by Alphaville »

hello and welcome. i’m not very good with the introduction threads so i didn’t make one...

but 18 is a great age to start with positive instead of negative equity! so congrats.

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

Welcome! That's so cool you discovered ERE in high school. In my dream world it would be required reading for high school Econ classes :)

I was in the same boat in terms of having high earning parents who were still perpetually in debt. I actually think it's valuable to see that, as you quickly internalize that a prestigious and well paid job does not automatically solve money problems (or any problems, really.)

Have you selected a major yet?

Looking forward to following your journey!

RunFastBeKind

Post by RunFastBeKind »

Thank you for the welcome!

I definitely agree on ERE being ideal for highschoolers to learn! Or at least a few of the core principals, if nothing else. Having people understand that lifestyle inflation is a choice, not something that happens to them, and the basic idea that all that really matters for retirement is the percentage you can save would be a good start, in my opinion.

I'm double majoring in Computing & Applied Mathematics (basically math + comp sci) and Creative Writing. CAM is probably my better ROI, but creative writing is something I'd really enjoy having as a hobby/side hustle or maybe switching to full-time after reaching financial independence.

I'm still not sure exactly what I want to do after college. My only "bigger" job I've done was paid CS research. That was a pretty great experience, but I definitely do not plan to go to grad school...

Again, thank you both for the warm welcome! I'm glad to be here :D

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

Nice, that's a cool double major. Don't discount how powerful the ROI of those two combined can be. I work in content marketing, at an agency that sells blog writing services to tech companies. We keep taking on clients who want us to write about dev tools. It's really hard for a bunch of liberal arts majors to pull off :)

A lot of companies & content agencies will pay top dollar to a writer that can write about coding, dev tools, and comp sci adjacent topics in a way that is engaging. Those people are unicorns. I know someone who is mid-twenties and works for / consults for multiple venture back tech companies. He says he gets more people requesting his services than he knows what to do with, and he doesn't have enough reliable people to refer them to. This is his newsletter. 

Writing about technical topics could be something to try out as a side hustle to see if you like it.
Last edited by Smashter on Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RunFastBeKind

Post by RunFastBeKind »

Oh, true! I guess I hadn't been thinking of how to combine my majors. Engineering is the big thing in my family, and both my older siblings are engineers now, so I guess focusing in on my technical major seemed like the only option. I hadn't even thought of combining them into something like writing about technical topics! I'll definitely look more into it and see about trying it out!

Can I ask what path you took to end up at an agency that sells writing to tech companies? Any particular advice?

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

My path was meandering.

Pro basketball player overseas → assistant to Hollywood tv writers → writer for ad-tech company → sales at ad-tech company → in-house writer at HR-tech company → sales at tiny enviro-tech startup → freelance writer → writer working for a content marketing agency → sales at content marketing agency. My pattern is to try to write for a living, then get frustrated by lack of income, switch to sales for the money, then burn out and switch back to writing.

I'm actually just about at the burnout phase of the current sales job, haha. After writing this out, I think my advice is to just go be a 10x engineer and make a ton of money and forget the whole writing thing :) But really, specialized tech writing from someone who understands engineering is a different ballgame in terms of income potential and job security.

There's job security (until GPT 3 takes all the writing jobs) because every tech company wants inbound leads. Paid ads get expensive. Good writing brings in a steady stream of "free" leads to tech companies because people find their blog posts searching on google. The companies that have good blogs see a huge ROI.

As a very basic way to start, I'd check out some tech company blogs and see what you think of the content they put out.

And if you every get to a point where you look at posts like this or this and you're like, "I could write that pretty easily," then it's worth sending out some pitches and trying to get in touch with people in the industry, because you can make great $$ even just freelancing.

slsdly

Post by slsdly »

What brought you to ERE at such a tender age? I was always relatively frugal, resisted lifestyle inflation, and maxed out my RRSP/TFSA/etc. ERE would probably have found fertile ground. It took a few years and bad experiences in the work force to begin *asking* myself if there was an alternative to a lifetime of servitude.

I too come from a family of engineers. I don't think there was ever a question of what I would do. The computer science / software engineering path has become so much more lucrative than it was when I graduated. I was earning 65k (CAD) in 2009 in an okay bonus program, which was a pretty good wage, but a decade later new grads are earning 6 figures with lucrative bonuses/stock grants. That has certainly outpaced inflation. While I have my misgivings, I think it is a pretty great field, with a wide variety of companies to suit your location, work life balance, and compensation desires.

If I have any professional advice worth giving, two things. One, be grateful -- not necessarily to the employer, but just for the fact we get paid so much, for comparatively so little. These jobs are easy mode as far as accumulation goes. While I often fail at it, I find it is the best medicine for avoiding too much cynicism. Two, be friendly/social with your colleagues, even if there may be things you disagree on -- it makes getting the next job so much easier if people not just respect your ability, but like you as a person. After they move on, they will often reach out to you to see if you are interested in joining them. They get a referral bonus for a solid person they know won't embarrass them, you get the road to your next position, should you need it, paved and brightly lit, as well as joining a known quantity (you can get the inside story from a person you know somewhat well.)

RunFastBeKind

Post by RunFastBeKind »

Definitely meandering, but your path sounds very interesting! The jumping between sales and writing, as well as doing freelance before switching back to a "regular" job, definitely seems like it would be a way to keep things feeling new. I feel like there are some interesting stories behind some of those switches, especially in switching in and out of freelance, and the move from pro sports to writing. I find it super fascinating how you jump around--my "real life" experience is still very limited, and all my friends/family have worked in very narrow fields or single jobs for most of their lives.

I don't think I have the skills to pitch as a freelancer yet--my writing still tends to be jumpy and uncoordinated. The best thing for that is probably just practice, practice, and more practice, so now that I've finally gotten over the burnout stage of my summer job I'm getting back to writing more of what I actually care about. We'll see how it goes, I guess?

My writing program at college requires the creation of a portfolio of work and a final comprehensive project to graduate, so hopefully that'll give me a body of work to pull from when I get out into the main job market.

As for how I got into ERE: I definitely wasn't the best highschool student, I was just more unorthodox in my time-wasting. Most people played mobile games and then quickly switched to something academic when the teacher passed by, but my move was to just spend my time reading info-dense articles. They looked academic enough that teachers would assume I was being productive. I ended up burning entire school days on Slate Star Codex and ERE, for no more complex reason than that they fascinated me and made time pass quickly.

If you mean a more general "how did I stumble across the site," I'm generally known for my very intense obsessions with researching certain topics. I had a ultralight-hiking phase that turned into a RV-living phase that somehow led me here that somehow prompted me to search something that led to ERE, which sparked a very intense multi-year obsession with understanding finances, investment, self-sufficiency, etc. (Re: lifetime of servitude, I think what immediately hooked me on the entire idea was just that the idea of owning my own life and time was so radically different from what I had been taught was possible, and what my adult models were doing... it definitely just made me think, and the more I thought the more absurd it seemed to sell huge chunks of my life for things that didn't actually improve my quality of life in any meaningful way.)

I really appreciate the advice! I definitely should be reaching out more to my peers (I'm not particularly abrasive, just evasive). None of my friends are in the same field I am, so it's good to remember to reach out to those whose jobs will be much more closely linked with mine. The gratitude advice is probably the most important though, especially at my current job... I definitely need to take a moment to remember how grateful I am to be able to do what I do, even when it isn't my first choice.

(Also, complete aside, but I thought I'd be able to change my name later when I came up with something more clever, so now I'm sorely regretting locking myself into a very basic username... if I mysteriously disappear to be replaced with another account with the exact same background info, you'll know why)

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

kathryn wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:15 pm

I don't think I have the skills to pitch as a freelancer yet--my writing still tends to be jumpy and uncoordinated.
Said she after writing polished, well-flowing, mature-sounding answers to f*ing forum questions. :lol:

From an outside pov, you have wide vocab, varied sentence structure, and you write prose that has a naturally flowing rhythm. If I were to find anything about it to point out, it's that it comes across a bit self-conscious, at least to me -- which really means that the only thing left to do here is to stop worrying about the quality of your writing and just write.

Random 2c from random forumite here, so feel free to discard at will ;)

Chris

Post by Chris »

kathryn wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:15 pm
now I'm sorely regretting locking myself into a very basic username...
Ain't nothin' wrong with a basic username! (-:

RunFastBeKind

Post by RunFastBeKind »

bigato and jacob: thank you! My username has been updated!

Chris, clearly the first-name username is just too powerful to me, I'll leave that to you :P

ertyu, thank you! I definitely appreciate your two cents on it, and I'm glad my writing seems to flow well to you! I also really appreciate the feedback about sounding self-conscious; having an outside/unbiased point of view is very helpful.

shadow

Post by shadow »

Welcome!

I am 18 as well and could not relate to you more about sitting in class on ERE. I spent most of macroeconomics here lol.

On the topic of gratitude I am glad every day for having found ERE; while I haven’t put as much as I could have into action (ie saving money) it has radically changed my life. Just knowing that there is a path outside of the “standard” is huge.

It will definitely be a lot of fun to read someone else’s journal in parallel with my life!