Out on a limb.

Say hello!!
Quercus

Out on a limb.

Post by Quercus »

Last edited by Quercus on Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mooretrees

Re: Out on a limb.

Post by mooretrees »

Welcome! I was an arborist a long time ago and loved the climbing and the community. Hard work for sure, but really fun. Do you ever do any climbing competitions? Like the oak reference too!

What does an ERE level of spending mean to you? How likely are you to hit it? Do you track spending?

Best of luck!

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Welcome!

I'm a Twin Cities native. Pretty close by again too. There getting to be more and more folks within reasonable travel distance to this area... Can anyone say meetup?

Quercus

Post by Quercus »

Last edited by Quercus on Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

I did go back to school as I got bored with arborist work. I thought I'd study botany as I love plants, but there aren't any jobs and I didn't want to do a master's program. I ended up getting another bachelors in medical lab science, so basically I run all blood that you have drawn and make sure things makes sense for clinicians. Make more money but so much less time outside! Plus no one knows I exist or has heard of my job.

Sounds like you have good momentum working in your favor for keeping spending low, nice work!

I did one climbing competition as well, I was the only woman doing it and was still pretty new to climbing. Lots of support and a cool group of people. I never figured out foot locking, which I wish I had because it looks so cool. Would have come in handy on a few climbs too.

Quercus

Post by Quercus »

Last edited by Quercus on Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

Don't forget sales....do you work for a commercial outfit? I knew guys who had been doing arborist work for a long time, they were amazing and really efficient. But, yah there really isn't a lot of upward mobility in that career. I don't know much about city work, but one guy I knew said they mostly had meetings and did very little actual work. He was an anarchist though, so I don't know how much of that description of work was just him or the reality of city forestry. I think the climbing is actually the area of potential transition as lots of careers use rope work: firefighter, military and um, maybe that's it.

I think there's work climbing harvesting cones, no idea the specifics but that could be interesting work. The climbing is the best part of it (and working with chainsaws too!), but man was I ever glad every time I was back on the ground.