late 40s Italian semi- retired

Say hello!!
ere_italy

late 40s Italian semi- retired

Post by ere_italy »

Hello Everybody,
first of all I want to thank Jocob for changing my life with this blog many years ago . I'm not an extreme retiree mostly because I followed a slightly different approach.
I like my job (I'm an IT consultant) that allows me to travel and getting payed but not so much to work after 50y . I did not start with a specific SWR to reach out but just accumulating till 50s working less and less and traveling more while reaching the goal, in the previous decade I got an average of 2 contracts and a sabbatic year so that I could still have a lot of fun without dropping the job entirely and being more confident in using an higher WR (If I want) after 50s. At the moment I've already reached a SWR of 4% that I'll try to lower in the next few years.

regards

wolf

Re: late 40s Italian semi- retired

Post by wolf »

welcome. have you been living frugally already before you discovered ere?

ere_italy

Re: late 40s Italian semi- retired

Post by ere_italy »

before ERE I tried to have constant living standards regardless of the salary , after ERE I further optimized savings, improving eating habits (being italian helped), totally re-thought mobility getting rid of the car and started considering only jobs reachable by public transportation or bike or walking . The result was a huge spike in saving rate and health ( I don't remember me visiting a doctor in 10y aside from normal check ups )