Birthday Reset

Say hello!!
Peanut

Re: Birthday Reset

Post by Peanut »

Compensation gets my goat because my DH is currently underpaid too, but he has had a weird career path and it looks like that may change soon. It makes me mad to hear about a woman being underpaid especially one who has been really loyal to a company. I would even try asking if your gender is impacting your compensation vis-a-vis your peers. I would think it might scare them into a raise (if it doesn't negatively trigger them in other ways I suppose).

Man, I asked some personal questions. I meant to wish you continuing improvement post-surgery. I understand PCOS is a tough, even lifelong battle sometimes.
Kylinne wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:51 pm
I kept hoping that all the dire warning we received in school about how easy it was to get pregnant would come to pass, but not so much, lol. Mostly in denial that I actually am going to have to do something about this instead of it simply happening.
Getting pregnant at any age is partly a luck of the draw. You had great foresight freezing your eggs though and if you know this is what you want, getting aggressive sooner rather than later might mean carrying is easier on your body, your spouse's contribution is also maximally effective, etc. The downside is the toll of the various treatments that might be necessary and everything that goes with it. I hope your company's insurance covers them!
Kylinne wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:51 pm
parking in Santa Monica
Yeah, I'm guessing those clinics in Santa Monica only have expensive valet service. Maybe the big blue bus is still running?

Kylinne

Re: Birthday Reset

Post by Kylinne »

Peanut wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:24 pm
Compensation gets my goat because my DH is currently underpaid too, but he has had a weird career path and it looks like that may change soon. It makes me mad to hear about a woman being underpaid especially one who has been really loyal to a company. I would even try asking if your gender is impacting your compensation vis-a-vis your peers. I would think it might scare them into a raise (if it doesn't negatively trigger them in other ways I suppose).
There is a new California law about equal compensation that I should check into. I keep forgetting to call HR about it, lol. But yeah... I bounced around a couple different programs and two different job classifications which kinda screwed me on promotions and pay early on, which has slowed everything in my entire career (especially the 7 year period in a job classification that made me miserable - it's literally called "stress" as a short for stress analysis, and it is not my idea of fun), plus a typical aerospace strategy requires you to bounce around companies to get promotions and pay bumps, because the companies seem to value the people that jump around more than those who stay. I agree with the ridiculousness of it all.
Peanut wrote:
Man, I asked some personal questions. I meant to wish you continuing improvement post-surgery. I understand PCOS is a tough, even lifelong battle sometimes.
Oh! Right! Hah. Yeah, surgery recovery is pretty much done; as long as I don't do anything stupid, I generally don't even notice it - unfortunately, stupid is occasionally a yoga pose that feels fine at the time, but leaves me with a migraine the next day. I should stick to weight lifting, lol. Also, if I didn't want to answer, I wouldn't, but I'm pretty much an open book. I mean, on the one hand PCOS is great because I go 2-4 months without a period. On the other, it's so easy to gain weight and so hard to get pregnant. Weee.
Peanut wrote:
Getting pregnant at any age is partly a luck of the draw. You had great foresight freezing your eggs though and if you know this is what you want, getting aggressive sooner rather than later might mean carrying is easier on your body, your spouse's contribution is also maximally effective, etc. The downside is the toll of the various treatments that might be necessary and everything that goes with it. I hope your company's insurance covers them!
They do, for a set amount - the egg freezing used about half of the benefit I have, but it was worth it because I was going through a divorce at the time and didn't know when I would find a compatible partner. My spouse occasionally suggests I could go see the doctor, but he's sweet and not at all pushy about it, so I haven't gone in. I think I'll call about an appt soon.
Peanut wrote:
Yeah, I'm guessing those clinics in Santa Monica only have expensive valet service. Maybe the big blue bus is still running?
This one at least has underground parking, but one of the things I absolutely hate in life is paying for parking. The BBB still is running... and I have now learned it runs right by my local library and stops right in front of the clinic. Given that the train connection isn't kicking in for a few years, that's a great idea, thanks! I tend to forget that LA transit can be useful if I don't have time constraints, because I generally walk most of the places that aren't work that I do regularly (grocery, library, gym). Seems the intermediate trips are the ones I need to work on remembering other options exist. :)