Hello, fellow freedom fighters

Say hello!!
quixote19

Hello, fellow freedom fighters

Post by quixote19 »

Hello All,
I am a 33 year old Indian citizen, currently living in Switzerland. I discovered "FIRE" movement through MMM blog about 5 years ago. I came to know about ERE from there. Since then, I have been reading ERE blog posts and just finished reading the ERE book today.

I am married (no kids yet). We have been away from our home country from about 6 years now. We are planning to relocate back to India in a couple of years. That will be the beginning of my semi FIRE, planning go full RE once we re-adjust to our home country.

I find ERE philosophy to be much closer to my own personal value system and have decided to adopt this as my "path to FIRE". We save around 60% of our monthly post tax income. And We have enough savings to afford a lean FIRE in our home country. At this point, I have come to the conclusion that the important challenges in rest of my FIRE journey is mostly mental. I am making a slow transition to ERE mentality, which will hopefully enable me to "RE" in three to four years.
I am hoping to make some positive contribution in this forum, while staying inspired and focused on my path to Freedom.

wolf

Re: Hello, fellow freedom fighters

Post by wolf »

Welcome quicote19.

How high do you calculate in the difference between cost of living in Switzerland and India?

quixote19

Post by quixote19 »

How high do you calculate in the difference between cost of living in Switzerland and India?
I use https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/ and their cost of living calculator as starting point. They have data for all major Indian cities. I have my family and friends living in India, with whom I have close ties. I cross check the number I get from numbeo with them to make sure I am not off by any significant margin. Numbeo number is slightly higher than the number I get from talking to my relatives. For Switzerland I have first hand data since I live here.

The difference is huge. For example, if average monthly expense in a swiss city such as Geneva is 4000 CHF, it is only close to 600 CHF in Bangalore (with a frugal life style). But India lags in lot of things from air quality to infrastructure. So this is not a fair comparison.

avanishk

Post by avanishk »

Welcome to this forum and ERE lifestyle quixote19!

I live in Bangalore and would love to be of any help during your FIRE journey and transition back to India.

While I have had Financial Freedom as my goal for quite sometime, I recently came across ERE philosophy, just like you. This has renewed the rigor of living frugal lifestyle within me.

Best wishes on your journey to FIRE.