Hi!

Say hello!!
just

Hi!

Post by just »

Greetings from Denmark.

I found jacob's site in the autumn of 2017, somehow stumbling upon it when trying to figure out whether I should buy an apartment after having graduated. I remember the idea of early retirement made sense almost immediately to me, like you could "win the game of life", not having to work until you can collect a pension and SS. It felt very liberating. It was also not long after discovering FIRE that I really understood how bad the climate change situation is, so that was additional motivation for reducing consumption [1].

Since then I've been swallowing anything ERE - the book, all blog posts, the forums, and other FIRE blogs (Living a FI, Lacking Ambition, madFIentist, MMM, ...), as well as several books. Particularly, How I found Freedom in an Unfree World was very inspirational to me.

I have long been lurking on these forums, but given all that the site and these forums have given me, I want to contribute something in return, and hopefully also get more in return through participation as oppose to observing. I think I've been a little intimidated to post before, so I'll try to start a journal and use that as a gateway to post more on other topics. I also think some reflection in a journal will be rewarding for me, and I also miss writing something since leaving university.

[1] From the recent discussions about Deep Adaptation, etc., it's also slowly dawning on me that the future might be different from what I previously imagined, due to climate change and peak oil. I guess I'm slowly realizing all the ways in which ERE is really a robust system for the future.

Gilberto de Piento

Re: Hi!

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Welcome!