58yo perma-traveler, retired at 38yo

Say hello!!
classical_Liberal

Re: 58yo perma-traveler, retired at 38yo

Post by classical_Liberal » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:46 pm

@Seppia
I have worked with many international travel nurses. They come to the US thanks to the higher pay, then eventually get green cards. Hospitals like them because they are cheaper than home grown travel nurses.

Anyway, interestingly, every-single-one of them talk about the differences in patient population. They report that patients in other countries are much more appreciative for the care and are also more motivated to get better. In the US our consumerism extends to medical care. IOW, mentality is very much, I pay you, you fix me. Why do I have to do "X" or experience discomfort "Y"?!

Although this probably doesn't account for all the differences (the system is broken), it sure does explain a good share of why the US spends more with worse outcomes.

FIRE 2018

Post by FIRE 2018 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:20 pm

True on subject of international nurses in USA. They are generally paid less than nurses that schooled in USA with same qualifications. And some international nurses I know live -- 6 ladies in a 1 bedroom apt, working overnight shifts for more pay and send a good amount of their income back home to support their families. I worked with people educated and not that some believed in modern meds to cure their issues instead of making lifestyle changes ( lose weight, exercise, etc).

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:58 am

Shemp, I really enjoy your perspective. I've learned something from all 4 of your posts. Please keep on contributing your wisdom. It's nice to see a new ERE level persepctive to aspire to as I travel along.