intro

Say hello!!
tyd450

intro

Post by tyd450 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:37 pm

hi all- I have been lurking for awhile but finally made my first post/response today, so I thought I would do the appropriate thing and create an intro thread. I am not new to FIRE but somewhat new to ERE. I remember getting Jacob's book from the library back in 2012 and really struggling with it, it just didn't click. That was around the same time I discovered MMM and put my plan somewhat into motion. Or at least the seed was planted.

Fast forward to today and I am well on my way, married with a few kids and ready to take the next step. I read the book again and it all just made sense to me now. I am still in the accumulation phase, working a job that pays me well but doesn't fulfill me, living in the suburbs of Chicago (pretty darn close to Jacob actually). My plan involves a few more years of work to pad the stash and then selling our house here in Chicago and moving downstate, to be closer to family and long-time friends and also to just enjoy a slower paced, higher quality life (in my opinion). We have enough equity in our home now to buy one outright in the LCOL central IL, so now it is just a matter of deciding how much is enough and pulling the plug.

Anyway, I am happy to be here and really enjoy lurking, hoping to contribute a little more going forward!

unemployable

Re: intro

Post by unemployable » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:42 pm

Man, if Downstate were any cheaper it would be free. Those pension liabilities though.

tyd450

Post by tyd450 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:48 pm

unemployable wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:42 pm
Man, if Downstate were any cheaper it would be free. Those pension liabilities though.
trust me I have been looking at Indiana, WI, IA as alternatives but I have come to the conclusion that you only have one life to live and I think I want to choose live mine with family nearby. Even if that means I have to pay for it in taxes. Just another thing to work into the budget I guess. Hard to convince everyone to move with me! Also, free babysitting is a nice perk.

Oh, at least we will have legal weed and sports gambling come 1/1, that should fix everything! :lol:

unemployable

Post by unemployable » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:55 pm

It's Illinois, they'll find a way to spend/embezzle it.

There's only so much they can raise the property tax on on a $50k house. And they can raise the income tax all they want once you have no income. The people most screwed will be the high-earn-high-spend workers around the better parts of Chicago.