18 year old permaculture hippy (male)

Say hello!!
monkeymanwasd123

18 year old permaculture hippy (male)

Post by monkeymanwasd123 »

my name is connor burke (INTP-T/ENTP-A)
I've always thought that hermits, monks and philosopher's like diogenes were super cool, so when i learned about permaculture and early retirement extreme they helped me to get out of a depression i had been in from about age 5 to 15. i finally resolved my depression via something akin to zen enlightenment.
at this point I've fasted for 3 days, worked a summer moving irrigation pipe at a local farm, i swam in a river that was polluted by manure from towns upstream without getting sick, i practice floor sleeping to reduce/eliminate back pain, i can throw everything i care to own out my window in under 10 min.
Im aim to work/invest in fields related to permaculture,holistic grazing,minimalist,the wim hof method.
I think that stuff like working as a "life couch" or permaculture designer/consultant would be a good side hustle in addition to investing in systems resembling a food forest or silvo pasture.
If anyone has any related advice/or question they would be very welcome.
Last edited by monkeymanwasd123 on Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Dream of Freedom

Re: 18 year old permaculture hippy (male)

Post by Dream of Freedom »

Welcome to the forum Mr. Burke. My brother laid irrigation pipe as a job one summer, I haven't myself though. So what are your plans after high school?

monkeymanwasd123

thanks for the welcome, irrigation was a muddy hell XD
a contractor that worked on my parents house said i might be able to get a job at a tiny house village (i forgot what for)
other than that i'd likely be doing farmwork for anyone that pays "well" and such until i can go to hippy school/get my teaching certification for the wim hof method.
i may also end up working at my step-grampa's ranch (he is so old he has started to fall over (ex army skinny tough guy that "fixed" military bases. he made and sold a company that made lasers or something along those lines)
after that i'm thinking about working as a permaculture consultant and maybe live on a ranch so i can get cheap beef/space and access to drinking water/irrigation/"transportation"

monkeymanwasd123

have any of yall tried making/buying a water/ice cooled vest?
has anyone built their own sauna?

monkeymanwasd123

[redacted] (i did the thing)
Last edited by monkeymanwasd123 on Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daylen

Post by daylen »

You remind me of me at 18. I recommend putting a little more effort into how you structure your writing. Pick up the book "The Elements of Style". As an INTP, writing can become your greatest asset.

monkeymanwasd123

I usually refine what I write after I say it enough times
I like the route of living like a monk or a hermit and investing in the people/animals/relationships around me to live. I think I'll have to have kids or students/employees of my own if I want to retire
I read a lot of fiction so my mentality is kinda suited to more extreme areas
I'm thinking of getting into YouTube so that I can get a passive income from the above lifestyle

monkeymanwasd123

Did you watch the video about the hobbit dude living on 5k I liked the bark covered walls. If I move to a forsted area I could convert it to silvo pasture and use the bark / wood for housing
Same on the tech bit 😁

Jean

Post by Jean »

My dad built a sauna. Materials amounted for 5000.- it gets to 190°F with three one foot beech logs.

monkeymanwasd123

Nice, I think I read somewhere that you use the whm(wim hof method). Lately I've been thinking about how to make a tiny sauna for myself like one of those coffin looking versions
I think I could mod it so I could use it as a bath / sauna. I'm a bit concerned that using a rocket mass heater would be overboard for a 100sf space
Last edited by monkeymanwasd123 on Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monkeymanwasd123

I've watched that video so many times, how small do you think we could get a rocket mass heater?

Jean

Post by Jean »

whm? you mean wood mass heater or something else?

monkeymanwasd123

i figured it might be interesting to use it for heating, cooking, maybe a sauna type thing. the direction i plan to aim for is to go to a warmish dry area and make the local microclimate as cold as i can so having a rocket mass heater may be nice and if i stay near the coast i may be able to harvest a ton of dew from the humid air even if i dont have much rainfall

monkeymanwasd123

daylen wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:06 am
You remind me of me at 18. I recommend putting a little more effort into how you structure your writing. Pick up the book "The Elements of Style". As an INTP, writing can become your greatest asset.
I followed your advice and cleaned up my original post. :)