Lloyd (currently) from New England

Say hello!!
doubleld

Lloyd (currently) from New England

Post by doubleld »

Hello ERE community!

Just discovered ERE and FIRE this past year after initially stumbling upon the MMM and Frugalwoods blogs. The MMM blog, in particular, led me down the “rabbit hole” of hundreds of loosely affiliated personal finance and FIRE blogs throughout the internet. It seems nearly every FIRE blog references at least 3-5 other similar blogs.

Recently I’ve come across Jacob's blog and just finished his book and really connected with his methodologies. I'm looking to engage with the ERE community and pick everyone’s brain!

I’m currently 32, graduate educated, a soon to be father, debt free except for one zero interest car loan and a mortgage, and making a “high” income. My goal is to save more than 60% of my household income and semi-retire from full-time employment as early as age 42. I've had difficulty getting myself and the wife onboard with even moderate frugality which is preventing us from retiring any earlier. If anyone has tips on convincing one's spouse to jump on the ERE train I'm all ears. :D

I’m especially interested in frugal living, tips for reducing expenses in high cost of living areas, and income-boosting “side hustles”. I’ve been toying with the idea of starting my own business as a side hustle, but just haven’t made that first step yet.

Looking forward to engaging with you all!

-Lloyd

prognastat

Re: Lloyd (currently) from New England

Post by prognastat »

Welcome to the forums.

Wish I could help with the spouse thing, but given that I just went through a divorce one of the reasons behind which(among plenty of others) was an inability to agree on goals and finances. Others here have had more success though.

wolf

Post by wolf »

Welcome Lloyd!
Semi-Retire within 10 years with a SR of 60% sounds like a good plan. :-)
Regarding convincing one's spouse, maybe you can get some inspiration from this topic: Significant others: Having the talk ...

doubleld

Post by doubleld »

Thanks for the warm welcomes and thanks for the forum link Wolf! I've been reading through it and already picked up some new ideas that I'm going to try. Wish me luck haha.