Hello from an Almost-Adult

Say hello!!
CrypticAgent

Hello from an Almost-Adult

Post by CrypticAgent »

Hello,

I am a 17 year old living near Philadelphia, and I have been reading a lot of the PF stuff online, both Jacob's Blog, MMM, and the ERE Forums and I decided to see if I could plan life out so that I can spend money on the things that really matter (cutting out waste).

Currently about to apply to college and follow my Dad's dream/plans for me to become a computer science (CS) major. Both my parents work in the field and I have no burning desire for a different option, so this would be the logical path to follow.

I plan on making a transition to bike life and begin cooking more of my own food to optimize my life while in school. Although I wonder if it's worth it just to spend a bit more to save time on cooking food during college.

prognastat

Re: Hello from an Almost-Adult

Post by prognastat »

Welcome to the forum.

So long as you have a plan for getting through college with minimal debt a computer science degree could be a worthwhile investment.

As for cooking I would recommend against buying either takeout or pre-made/mircrowave food. Being able to efficiently and effectively shop and cook is an important life skill you should be practicing as much as possible. Also there will always be an excuse to not have to cook due to having important things to do isn't going to go away once you're done with college.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Before looking at colleges, check out Lambda School.

MichaelAndrewLoDown

Post by MichaelAndrewLoDown »

Don't go to college. Learn computers yourself (especially with two parents in the field!) and specialize in blockchain coding. Vitalik Buterin never went to college, he even got paid 100k to NOT go to college.

wolf

Post by wolf »

Welcome CrypticAgent!

Is reading PF stuff very common among your peers too? In another introduction there is also a young guy. I wonder if it is very popular/common to know about MMM, etc. among young people? Do you talk about that with your friends?

Well, have a great start.

CrypticAgent

Post by CrypticAgent »

wolf wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:42 am
Welcome CrypticAgent!

Is reading PF stuff very common among your peers too? In another introduction there is also a young guy. I wonder if it is very popular/common to know about MMM, etc. among young people? Do you talk about that with your friends?

Well, have a great start.
I just take money more seriously than many others do. I read a quote from Rich Dad Poor Dad that's something like this "the root of all evil is the lack of money" rather than money being the source of all evil. I thought about the insight about it, and I realized that money is something that can control you, or something that you can leverage that can make life go your way, therefore, I want to start out making smart monetary decisions.

As for my friends, they're talking about music, Fortnite, or school, so not much PF there.

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

Hi. Most of adulthood is overrated. The part that isn't is the "do whatever the hell you please" part.