Took Me 8 Years, Thanks Jacob!

Say hello!!
MichaelAndrewLoDown

Took Me 8 Years, Thanks Jacob!

Post by MichaelAndrewLoDown »

I had another name on this forum but couldn't remember anything (michaelandrewlo). I stopped following the daily daily in 2010 after getting the book. Well I followed it and it took me 8 years. It's been a year I haven't "worked", at least at a job. I graduated as an RN at 22 years old, moved to another state to maximize pay, and have "retired" by 30. So I'm back simply to say THANKS to Jacob and this community!

One interesting thing I noticed since looking around at the FIRE community after being away is that Jacob really started something. In 2008-2009 when I was in college and found this site I remember specifically how much BS there was on yahoo (it was bigger back then) as well as google. I see a HUGE preponderance of blogs talking about this information as if it is the truth now, where I can remember this information being controversial (somewhat) and very new originating from this blog "back then". Anyway, here's a cool quote:

‘The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates, and a monthly salary.’ - Nassim Taleb

Riggerjack

Re: Took Me 8 Years, Thanks Jacob!

Post by Riggerjack »

Congratulations! You are faster than me.

What are you going to do now?

wolf

Post by wolf »

Congrats! Great that you achieved it. 😀

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

good first post

brute also wants to point out that the side effects of heroin are "constipation". yes, just constipation.

MichaelAndrewLoDown

BRUTE wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:29 pm
good first post

brute also wants to point out that the side effects of heroin are "constipation". yes, just constipation.
Don't forget death. As well as respiratory failure, slow breathing, small pupils, unresponsiveness, or blue skin from poor circulation.

MichaelAndrewLoDown

Thanks for the congrats. I will say it wasn't really an "achievement" per se as it was a transition. It took me a while to feel secure not having a job. I went from working full time to part time for a year and then 1-2 days a week for a few months before I really pulled the trigger. A big factor was starting some online ventures. I know that saving and investing from a job is more "robust" but I don't think I could allow myself live off a 3.2% SWR unless I had some other side business. For now I run an online chess coaching business (I'm 2000+ in chess), as well as selling apparel on amazon. I won the lower section of the millionaire chess tournament in 2016 which gave me about a years worth of living expenses. Once I did that I starting thinking about what to do after working a job was no longer an option. It was suprisingly hard to let go of the "job security" mentality, even though it's a total farce.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

MichaelAndrewLoDown wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:46 pm
... For now I run an online chess coaching business (I'm 2000+ in chess), as well as selling apparel on amazon. I won the lower section of the millionaire chess tournament in 2016 which gave me about a years worth of living expenses.
Sweeeeeet!

Congratulations on your success. Just curious: for how long have you played chess? Also: 1.e4... or 1.d4... ? It's rather important :D

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

That's awesome! Congratulations! It's good to hear from someone who made it happen. Your method is a lot like what I'm hoping to do, "retire" but continue to make money with other sources of income.

MichaelAndrewLoDown

FBeyer wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:01 am
... For now I run an online chess coaching business (I'm 2000+ in chess), as well as selling apparel on amazon. I won the lower section of the millionaire chess tournament in 2016 which gave me about a years worth of living expenses.
Sweeeeeet!

Congratulations on your success. Just curious: for how long have you played chess? Also: 1.e4... or 1.d4... ? It's rather important :D
E4! Although recently I've added d4 as you have to be unpredictable the higher you go. I've played chess for about 18 years at this point. Off and on where I get obsessed and reach a new level followed by 1-2 years of taking a break and losing interest.

MichaelAndrewLoDown

classical_Liberal wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:42 am
Fellow nurse here, good to read you made it!

I'm considering the "step down" plan. Going PRN somewhere or maybe just getting out of hospital nursing. Did you feel it made your transition easier? or if you had it to do over, would it better off balls to the wall, then just a complete separation? It seems nursing has a way of sucking you back in, even only doing 1 12 a week.
Ya I worked through an agency for a while towards the end. The pay was way higher but as you know agency are the lowest on the totem pole, I always got the hardest assignments. I started in med-surg tele but found a good niche in medicare regulations getting the COS-C certification for a few years. Auditing charts for home health got me away from the bedside and kept me sane. Then I went crazy doing that and went into ICU. Lol it does suck you back in. I would definitely keep moving around to different areas until you find something tolerable. Of course hospital nursing pays great and you can also work overtime. As a salary I worked at least 50+ hours a week. That's the danger with nursing for me as well is that it's so easy to say "Oh I'll just work 1 12, it's not that bad", but it really became a thorn in my side. I read somewhere once that the average nurse has a 7 year career and I fit that but I'm sure most aren't ready to be FI at the end of it. I had many co-workers with 100k+ debt from school when we both had the same job/license.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

Congrats on achieving FI and welcome back. Any tips for those still working towards the goal?

RealPerson

Post by RealPerson »

For now I run an online chess coaching business (I'm 2000+ in chess), as well as selling apparel on amazon. I won the lower section of the millionaire chess tournament in 2016 which gave me about a years worth of living expenses.
That is badass! I have never heard of online chess coaching as a business. You should get a prize for originality. Winning this chess championship is impressive, and then monetizing it... wow! What percentage of your current living expenses are paid by the chess and apparel gigs?

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelAndrewLoDown

RealPerson wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:46 am
Lol thanks! Yeah it wasn't really planned. I had some online students periodically then I started a youtube channel that grew a bit (ChessDiagnostic for chess fans) that got some traffic and then requests for coaching. It's not like work at all and it's very easy for me to be 100% absorbed in chess, teaching or playing.

The apparel is where I make the majority of money. Chess coaching is between $500-800 a month but apparel is $2000-7000 a month. I only spend $1000 a month max so it's kind of a no brainer. There is a program that started in 2015 called merch.amazon.com and it's really taken off. They pay royalties on apparel sold so all I have to do is make a .png design file and upload it. It was initially open to the public but then it exploded and became invite only so that was a bit lucky.

If I could do things over I would honestly skip college and focus 100% on earning money online from what I enjoy. I know it's not as "robust" but even Jacob makes a bunch of money from his kindle and create space book. There is so much opportunity out there.

MichaelAndrewLoDown

classical_Liberal wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:04 am
6 years! Yer almost done! :lol: If you're really following an early retirement plan as a nurse I would say work as much as possible for a few years and then cut yourself off. In the meantime try to earn money online or other ways. I hated nursing in the end, but also thought initially "this is boring I'll just pick up a few shifts here and there" which of course led to more and a decrease in quality of life. It's easy to say you're bored but then walk on the unit and see your assignment and immediately regret it! I totally understand that.

I did travelling for 1 year but it seems from the FB groups that the travel industry has taken a turn for the worst, at least as far as pay is concerned. If you want out of the bedside look into tele health, there are SO many more work from home positions answering calls for nurse advice lines than ever before. I have a friend doing that now and enjoys it. It's typical 9-5 BS and pays 60-70k salary.