Just About There...Maybe...

Say hello!!
Blues Lover

Just About There...Maybe...

Post by Blues Lover »

Hi. My DW and I are a couple of DINKs in our 50s. I've been obsessing over FIRE for a number of years now and I think, maybe, we're almost there. What makes me hesitate is my insecurity about my ability to estimate post-retirement expenses. Sometimes my DW drives me nuts with what I think is her over-conservatism but I learned that she's a good counter-balance to my tendency to be overly optimistic.

I'm out of work for the second time in my 20-year career (so I guess that actually makes us SINKs now). Unfortunately, there's major age discrimination in my field and I find myself becoming less hopeful that I'll be able to get back in. DW plans to work for at least another four years after which she'll be eligible to collect a small pension that's COLA'd and very low cost employer-provided health benefits (low cost, but not very good). Her job is pretty secure, thankfully.

I think financially we're good. Even though we want to RE, I may want to get into a different line of work at this point because I'm not sure that I want to do nothing. I wouldn't mind changing careers - It's just the "what" that I'm wrestling with now. For the past 20 years I've worked in a field that is generally considered a cost center. Would be great if I could get into something where I was actually valued for a change. I had briefly played with the idea of getting an MBA, but I think that train left about a decade ago - not sure it would payoff at this point.

I look forward to joining the community here <wave>.

wolf

Re: Just About There...Maybe...

Post by wolf »

Hi. Welcome to the Forum. How did you find out about ERE?

Eureka

Post by Eureka »

Welcome and congratulations! Just enjoy your freedom from employment and engage in some great projects/hobbies/studies and soon some of it might generate small income streams. At least for me it has been like this. As you cannot predict the future anyway and you seem careful with your spendings, focus on the bright side of not having to waste your time on someone elses (your boss's or your company's) projects, but kan spend time on your own.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

welcome. good acronym use.

Blues Lover

Post by Blues Lover »

wolf wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:11 pm
Hi. Welcome to the Forum. How did you find out about ERE?
Thanks. I can't remember exactly how I found out about ERE. I've had this message board bookmarked for a while and only recently started to visit I've been obsessing over FIRE for a number of years now. I must have found ERE either through my endless Google searches for safe or perpetual withdrawal rates or through other FIRE forums I frequent. Like I said, I'm obsessive about it - I read so many things, bookmark others for later, etc. Not enough hours in a day.

Blues Lover

Post by Blues Lover »

Eureka wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:54 pm
Welcome and congratulations! Just enjoy your freedom from employment and engage in some great projects/hobbies/studies and soon some of it might generate small income streams. At least for me it has been like this. As you cannot predict the future anyway and you seem careful with your spendings, focus on the bright side of not having to waste your time on someone elses (your boss's or your company's) projects, but kan spend time on your own.
Thanks! What types of projects/hobbies/studies are you engaged in? The only hobbies I have would not generate income. I love learning/playing guitar, but my desire to learn/play far exceeds my abilities. Always looking for ideas on what else I might get into.

Blues Lover

Post by Blues Lover »

BRUTE wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:21 pm
welcome. good acronym use.
Thanks. Let's just hope these SINKs don't wind up being sunk in retirement.

Eureka

Post by Eureka »

@BL, oh so many things. I got interested in natural movement and this lead to translation of a book; I have done yoga forever and got involved in launching a yoga school; I have a friend who sells vegan food at street fairs and last weekend I helped her out and got all the left overs, which is more than a week's food for me; I updated a webpage for someone who makes dresses - and got the most wonderful dress as thanks; I studied a lot of moocs on molecular genetics because I got fascinated by how advanced life science has moved and this lead to giving feed back on scientific grant applications just to mention a few. When I had a full time job, I had to say no to all of this kind of opportunites due to lack of time. Now I can say yes ...