Let's get right to it: I'm from Germany and would love to get to know like-minded people, preferably in real life, face to face. If you're interested in meeting some time (and place), please feel free to reach out.
Here's a some background. I'm a guy in my late 30s. I stumbled across FIRE half a year ago and started gravitating towards ERE few months later.
I consider myself lucky to be able to start the journey to ERE from a privileged position:
- My upbringing was rather frugal.
- I chose a well paying career that I even enjoyed for most of the ride.
- I have figured out somewhat early in life that only the inflation part of lifestyle inflation is actually fun (hedonistic adaptation and all that jazz). I hence deliberately allowed for lifestyle inflation, but (luckily) limited the pace.
- The net effect is that I sustained a healthy savings rate ever since I started working full-time - even despite having no particular financial goal.
- I built modest competence in investing to find some purpose for the money I saved.
During the last six months, I largely revamped my value system. The rest feels like technicalities by comparison, albeit important ones. Most of them happen to still be in progress, like aggressively cutting my expenses, understanding the maths of FIRE (and relevant German law), as well as building competence in previously neglected areas. I also do not yet have a strong vision of what I want, but have managed to identify some key elements: health, autonomy, being with friends and family, being close to nature, having time by myself.
Another tricky question is figuring out how much inefficient spending I want to be able to finance from passive income or how much headroom I want to keep for big life changes.
It would be great to find people to discuss big questions as well as technicalities (including German particularities). But mostly I hope to enjoy a conversation (about ERE) without being considered rather (very) weird.
Greetings from Germany!