Different lifestyles that can be had for 7K/yr/person? (1 J)

Simple living, extreme early retirement, being wealthy, ...
Olaz

Different lifestyles that can be had for 7K/yr/person? (1 J)

Postby Olaz » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:24 pm

If we can figure out how to configure all types of different lifestyles on 7k/yr/person, that would make barebones FI (7k/yr/person @ a variable 3% SWR, or ~250K) even more powerful, and the buffer (500K total) compound on itself even faster, all while living an ideal lifestyle.

Let's get to it: here's what I can think of (these are re-curring, non-disaster scenario costs with their relatively low up-front, one-time costs out of the way):

1. Thru-hiking the World's Trails
2. Bicycle Touring the World's Trails or Roads
3. Vanaboding the World (maybe small RV-ing)
4. Stationary Livin' in Apt./house w/ roommates
5. Homesteading Away on Tiny House Terms
6. Living Intentionally in a Commune/WOOFING
7. Sailing the World on a 30' sailboat/volunteering on a tall ship
8. Working/volunteering at a camp or national park
9. Expatriating where 7K USD is a lot
10. Living in a cave a la Daniel Suelo

Wow, there are actually plenty of lifestyles to be had for only 7k...sweet! Got any other suggestions?

---------

With so much variety in these lifestyles, why would we need to spend more? Fancier restaurants, galleries, museums, travelling, hotel stays, what? If all of these lifestyles can be had for so little, people are vastly over-paying to get a lesser-quality or the-same-quality lifestyle :(
Last edited by Olaz on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

classical_Liberal

Re: Different lifestyles that can be had for 7K/yr/person? (1 J)

Postby classical_Liberal » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:56 pm

Peace Corps, Medical corps, ect. Under 7K and free skill building.

YoungAndWise

Postby YoungAndWise » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:00 am

+1 That.
Until you hit your limit and can't do it anymore.

Bobby McGee

Postby Bobby McGee » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:19 pm

Kriegsspiel

Postby Kriegsspiel » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:28 pm

Don't forget house and pet sitting. If you can string together a couple sits, you can live without housing costs for a while.

Did

Postby Did » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:35 am

@Kriegsspiel Combine vagabonding with sits then you don't have to string them together eg living in a van while housesitting. We travelled Oz in a van for 8 months - best time in our lives, no doubt - and only discovered housesitting after. Would never not combine the two now. I hope to do the same around Europe and met an Australian couple doing the same when in France last year. You couldn't get the smile off their faces. They bought their van for 4k euro but could sell it back to same guy for 3k euro after their trip.

Fish

Postby Fish » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:10 pm

@Olaz: I realize you're asking a question about the practical/applied side of ERE, but wanted to point out that your constraints aren't really that limiting. It just means you can't extract more than 7k of value/year (net!) and you won't be owning any big capital assets to the extent that they're not depreciated, distressed or shared. However, who cares about ownership? It's the control of the assets that you're after... and using ownership as a means to gain control is very unimaginative and often inefficient.

Jacob's post on his sailing adventures comes to mind here. Expand your solution space by getting creative. Don't forget you can extract more than 7k in value (without spending more than 7k) by adding value to make up the difference. It doesn't need to feel like work. Add value in ways you find pleasant and you will be doubly rewarded!

Olaz

Postby Olaz » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:17 pm

Fish wrote:@Olaz: I realize you're asking a question about the practical/applied side of ERE, but wanted to point out that your constraints aren't really that limiting. It just means you can't extract more than 7k of value/year (net!) and you won't be owning any big capital assets to the extent that they're not depreciated, distressed or shared. However, who cares about ownership? It's the control of the assets that you're after... and using ownership as a means to gain control is very unimaginative and often inefficient.

Jacob's post on his sailing adventures comes to mind here. Expand your solution space by getting creative. Don't forget you can extract more than 7k in value (without spending more than 7k) by adding value to make up the difference. It doesn't need to feel like work. Add value in ways you find pleasant and you will be doubly rewarded!

Can you give some more examples? I'm having some trouble fully understanding the point you made, and I'd like to.

Fish

Postby Fish » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:55 pm

For example: you'd like to live in a house. The typical solution is either capital-intensive (buying the house) or results in operating expenses that offset the value you extract by living in it (renting).

However, you can live in the house for free if you can provide value to others who need it. Housesitting is one such solution. You're getting control of a capital asset (free rent) in exchange for adding value (watching the house when the owner can't be there physically).

Instead of merely thinking of housesitting as a brilliant life hack, recognize the pattern and devise similar solutions to other problems.

trailblazer

Postby trailblazer » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:26 am

This is a great list! In my mind I immediately started rating each item 1 to 10 with 10 meaning I would be highly likely to do it (tried to insert below). A fun exercise. Actually all could be at least an 8 with the right equipment and skill set.

Olaz wrote:If we can figure out how to configure all types of different lifestyles on 7k/yr/person, that would make barebones FI (7k/yr/person @ a variable 3% SWR, or ~250K) even more powerful, and the buffer (500K total) compound on itself even faster, all while living an ideal lifestyle.

Let's get to it: here's what I can think of (these are re-curring, non-disaster scenario costs with their relatively low up-front, one-time costs out of the way):

1. Thru-hiking the World's Trails [10]
2. Bicycle Touring the World's Trails or Roads [2 - dont really bike]
3. Vanaboding the World (maybe small RV-ing) [6 - would be higher if already had van or rv]
4. Stationary Livin' in Apt./house w/ roommates [8 - might try for cheap studio and thus skip the roommates]
5. Homesteading Away on Tiny House Terms [6 - would need to learn many skills]
6. Living Intentionally in a Commune/WOOFING [2 - but it gets me thinking that some sort of monastic retreat could be worthwhile]
7. Sailing the World on a 30' sailboat/volunteering on a tall ship [3]
8. Working/volunteering at a camp or national park [6]
9. Expatriating where 7K USD is a lot [7]
10. Living in a cave a la Daniel [2 - but if I found a good cave . . .]

Wow, there are actually plenty of lifestyles to be had for only 7k...sweet! Got any other suggestions?

---------

With so much variety in these lifestyles, why would we need to spend more? Fancier restaurants, galleries, museums, travelling, hotel stays, what? If all of these lifestyles can be had for so little, people are vastly over-paying to get a lesser-quality or the-same-quality lifestyle :(

Return to “Lifestyle Questions”