(The Absence of) ERE in Academic Literature

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
7Wannabe5

Re: (The Absence of) ERE in Academic Literature

Postby 7Wannabe5 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:33 am

@Fish:

I did do a quick skim of that section of "ERE" after reading your post. I'm likely just being a little bit silly in my attempt to mathematically rationalize my unique combination of frugality, sloth and lack of risk-aversion (AKA anti-anxiety disorder.) My problem is that my variety of frugality is such that I think starting from scratch under adverse conditions might be fun, whereas if I had a million dollars in the bank it might be worrisome in the same way that carrying around the designer handbag my BF gave me for Xmas is rather worrisome.

What if we lived under some sort of meritocratic dictatorship which required that all citizens hand over all assets every 7 years and then resume play from new deal after being rewarded with trophies or badges? Like when you slide all the hotels off of the monopoly board and re-sort all the colorful paper slips back into the bank. Would this offer greater or lesser likelihood of development of internal capital than continuing play? Maybe all other contracts such as marriages and professional certificates etc. could also be automatically annulled at this 7-year-skin exfoliation festival?

ducknalddon

Postby ducknalddon » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:03 pm

7Wannabe5 wrote: What if we lived under some sort of meritocratic dictatorship which required that all citizens hand over all assets every 7 years and then resume play from new deal after being rewarded with trophies or badges? Like when you slide all the hotels off of the monopoly board and re-sort all the colorful paper slips back into the bank. Would this offer greater or lesser likelihood of development of internal capital than continuing play? Maybe all other contracts such as marriages and professional certificates etc. could also be automatically annulled at this 7-year-skin exfoliation festival?

Wars are a good way of doing that, particularly for the loosing side.

7Wannabe5

Postby 7Wannabe5 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:42 pm

ducknalddon said: Wars are a good way of doing that, particularly for the loosing side.

Good point. I guess I was thinking about it more in terms of behavioral psychology. As in, how would you change your behavior if you only had 7 years to live/work/save/spend/invest/profit/etc. vs. 70, but instead of dying, you just commit to going blank slate?

I wonder why there aren't more 80 year old people taking out student loans to study art history? I wonder how loans/debts were handled differently in warrior cultures with short life expectancy for young men? I wonder how much faster Jacob could get to $100,000 or $1,000,000 net worth again if he gave all his assets to charity?

Return to “Money Questions”