Smashter's Great Adventure

Where are you and where are you going?
7Wannabe5

Re: Smashter's Great Adventure

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Smashter wrote:If you’re not addressing the root problem, giving people money is just a bandaid. But bandaids are still important sometimes!
Yes, and at some level any expenditure of money by anybody could be reframed as "just a bandaid." For instance, maybe you spent money to purchase a microwave, because you do not have the skill to build a microwave from scratch. Or you do not possess the moral integrity that would allow you to poop in a pipe, like Jean, instead of indulging yourself with modern facilities etc. etc. I don't want to be judgmental about being judgmental, we all autopilot veer that way sometimes, including me for sure. More like I'm noting that judgmental can have negative impact on rational.

Anyways, it has been my recent experience dealing with some issues in my own family/social circle, that if/when you are considering or feeling compelled to throw money at a problem such as this that involves another complex human over whom you inherently do not wish to have control (and vice-versa), then it makes sense that the ratio of time/attention vs. money that you invest towards solution should be even greater than when dealing with something like a complicated machine or a complex environment in which you are free to exhibit more control, such as a garden. For instance, you could call your sister up, tell her you feel bad because you think you let her down during traumatic time, and offer to help her find low-cost source of therapy. If her income (flow of money) is significantly less than yours, you might also focus on first steps towards helping her increase her income*. Study after studay has shown that humans make better decisions about money when they have more money and or less money stress. $10,000 or $49,000 seems like a lot of money in a lump sum, but it's really not that much in terms of average investment in our society that is necessary to create a larger flow, whether from human capital or physical capital.

*And as you approach these issues from a perspective of curiousity and friendship, you may discover that her situation is actually worse or better or different than you previously assumed, and a small lever of money applied to a critical juncture only to be discovered through out-of-the-box thinking may make a huge difference. Paying off her credit card debt is a conservative investment that makes sense from your own current perspective or mythology attached to money, but there might be a more rational expenditure relevant to her situation.

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:24 am
For instance, you could call your sister up, tell her you feel bad because you think you let her down during traumatic time, and offer to help her find low-cost source of therapy.
Thank you for this. I called my sister up last night and used almost this exact approach. I didn't bring up therapy, as she tends to be pretty good at handling that on her own. But I did tell her honestly how I was feeling and let her know I would love to help her in some capacity. I left it open ended. She said I have nothing to feel bad about, and she was really grateful for the offer. She said she’d think on what she most needs and get back to me.

Good progress! She also happened to have received a good job offer that very morning, so she’ll hopefully be feeling a lot more stable soon.

She gave more details on her debt situation too. She stopped paying it altogether and ignored a bunch of calls about it until finally accepting their offer to go on a payment plan. She now has to pay over $500/month, but she sees it as a win because that's less than she was supposed to pay if she was servicing the debt normally.

I recently an article all about credit card debt collection. It talks about how if you have the will to fight those debt collectors you can win a surprising amount of the time. https://www.bitsaboutmoney.com/archive/ ... r-finance/

Relevant quote
When debtors actually contest their debts, or have competent legal representation, the debt collectors frequently get beaten like drums. Many judges take an unsurprisingly dim view of lawyers who profess to have personal knowledge of the facts of the case then can’t locate the contract they are suing over. (Again: they do not and never did possess a copy of the contract. The lawyer does not actually know any facts of the debt other than that the firm purchased a name, address, and perhaps a Social Security number in a CSV file. They don’t have the contents of any previous correspondence about the debt, owing to some combination of incompetence and unwillingness to present evidence of crimes in court.)
I need to send it to my sister. Not sure on the ethics of going about things this way, but that's a consideration for another day.
Last edited by Smashter on Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

@bostonimproper -- whoa! I did not know we were already releasing genetically modified mosquitoes. From what I'm reading it looks like the technical kinks are still being worked out to do it for Malaria. Very cool.

@Veronica lol. Also the dogs are about 55 lbs each. Heavy duty kong toys has been the best bet for longevity for sure. They are not cheap, but it's worth it to get toys that last longer than 3 minutes. There's another brand called Playology that makes stuff which can withstand the maulings as well.

I am so jealous that you can distract your dog for hours with a kong. Mine somehow find a way to extract all the goodies within minutes, then come trotting back over ready for the next thing. I got them in the pandemic and I work from home and I think I might have inadvertently created some co-dependent little monsters. But oh how I love them regardless.
Last edited by Smashter on Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Smashter wrote:I recently an article all about credit card debt collection. It talks about how if you have the will to fight those debt collectors you can win a surprising amount of the time.
Right. One thing to remember is that the rules of Capitalism are inclusive of bankruptcy. That's why it's provided for in the U.S. Constitution along with property rights. Entities that are extending credit at high interest rate to individuals or other entities who are poor risk are taking this into their accounting. Conservative players are less likely to acknowledge that along with other mechanisms such as anti-trust laws, providing for the possibility of bankruptcy is necessary in order to allow free trade/entrepreneurialship/pursuit-of-happiness (and resultant benefits) to flourish. So, it can often work to "call bluff" on creditors short of bankruptcy. If you are in the usory game, you'd even rather have customers who end up paying 12% rather than 21% after negotiation vs. tightwads who pay their balance down every month :lol: This reality is even reflected in individual credit ratings.

Dave

Post by Dave »

First off, I wanted to say how great it was to meet you @Smashter! Like you, the Elk Grove walk was a major highlight of my August...deep dives while going for long walks outside are also my cup of tea! Definitely looking forward to the next walk we all do.

It was interesting to hear your musings on WLs. It’s an funny thing being in a place that is more frugal than almost everyone you know IRL, but much less than some people you know on the internet. A lot of this section resonated with me. We might be a couple levels different, but I also feel my family is somewhat stalled for the foreseeable future. It’s hard to say for sure, though. Perhaps we are just consolidating at this level and preparing for the next jump? Haha, in all seriousness, you’re had a full plate and doing what’s right for you two at this juncture. Who knows what the future holds.

By this point I think you are moved in/moving into your new house. How is that process going??

Hard stuff with your sister, I don’t have anything useful to contribute other than saying I know it’s tough. Sometimes knowing what’s best to do for those we care about is not so clear. Somewhat similar to our discussion of trying to help friends/family with their health.

LOL, definitely interested in hearing your due diligence on pet stocks :D!

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

@Dave the move went well! We both took a whole week off work to do it, which helped a lot.

It was just the two of us moving all our stuff, which turned into a seriously good workout. There’s a reason the comedy show Nathan for You was able to have a whole episode where the theme was that a bodybuilder got his physique purely by lifting boxes for a moving company. (Many local news channels bought into the hype and ran the "bodybuilding mover" as a real story. )

I am also proud to report that DW and I made it through some long, strenuous days with a very minimal amount of bickering.

We love the house. We waived the inspection when making the offer, so it was a relief when we hired someone to do an inspection recently and it passed with flying colors. There are no real issues. Anything we want to do to the house is just so that we enjoy living here more. We looked at a lot of places in this price range that were in way worse shape or in far worse locations.

My very unasked for and very obvious advice to people looking for homes is to be patient and then to be ready to spring quickly on something you like. It also helps to have a high-ish risk tolerance. We waived the inspection when making the offer, and we also let the sellers rent back from us at $0/month for 3 months. We basically had to trust that they wouldn’t trash the place, as we’d be on the hook for major damages.

It all worked out in the end. We hired someone to do an inspection recently and it passed with flying colors. There are no issues. Anything we want to do to the house is just so that we enjoy living here more. DW and both will just randomly smile and be like "can you believe we never have to pay a mortgage again if we don’t want to?!” which is great fun. 

Unfortunately, DW felt compelled to do a little bit of work each day that she’s been on vacation. She made the mistake of responding to a few emails early on instead of going dark and shutting her computer for a week. What’s one email, right? To the sharks of corporate America, it’s like a drop of blood that they can smell from a 1/4 mile away. Soon she was being looped into threads on important matters where it was strongly implied she would need to respond before her vacation was over. And her being the nice and hardworking person she is, she obliged. I am tempted to have her tell her coworkers that we are going camping and will be out of cell phone range every time she takes PTO.

In other news, I found an awesome local gym that is like the antithesis of the stale, soulless, 24 hour chain gyms I’d been trialing. It’s in a grungy upstairs space. It has concrete floors. Most of the plates are just propped against the wall. The equipment is not shiny. The walls are covered in weird art, old photos of bodybuilders, and newspaper clippings. But it’s got plenty of space, it’s super cheap, it’s very close, and I just dig the vibe. I hope having access to a proper squat rack can help me more quickly achieve my goal of dunking a basketball.

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

Finances
I haven’t run all the numbers yet this month. We are comfortable. We had our first ever experience with not having to pay rent or a mortgage on the 1st of the month, which was awesome. 

House stuff

When we purchased our home we were told about a couple likely big ticket items we’d have to deal with. One was that there was likely asbestos in the insulation. Another was that our galvanized steel plumbing might be in bad shape and in need of replacing. 

We had experts out to assess both situations and like Neo in the Matrix, we dodged the bullets. There is no insulation asbestos, just stuff that looked like asbestos to the untrained eye. And the plumber who looked at our pipes said that, as far as galvanized piping goes, ours are in the top .05% in terms of how they’ve held up. There are just a couple small improvements he recommends making. Most of it should last 10-15 more years, and the main line should “outlive us.” 

Our next project is to rip out old carpet and paint an upstairs room before someone comes in to lay new carpet at the end of the month. 

Trains are loud, who knew? 

Since I laid out all those wins, I’ll highlight a less exciting development. Turns out we live really close to a union pacific railroad line. I knew this on some level, as you drive right over them to get to the house. But I didn’t think twice about it because we lived next to tracks at our last house and a train came by probably like once a month, it was no big deal. People used the tracks as just another place to walk their dogs. Plus we never heard the train on any visit to this most recent house before we purchased it. 

Turns out this train situation is a whole different beast. It is active, and we are right by a crossing. The horn is loud and obnoxious. Some days the train will go by 5-6 times, including in the middle of the night. And if you pay really close attention you can feel the house rumbling a teeny tiny little bit when the trains pass.  

At first, as a person with very sensitive ears, I was worried we’d made a huge mistake. But as time has gone on, I’ve learned to cope. The sound is not bad at all from inside the house. And there are some days where the train barely goes by at all. I have yet to discover a rhyme or reason to the schedule.

The noise is the most annoying if you are outside or if you’re inside but there is no other competing sound in the house. It doesn't really bother me if the TV’s on, if we are playing music from speakers, if I have headphones on, or even if there is just noise from people up and about, talking. 

We might eventually get thicker windows, and I’ve been eyeing up some sound blocking curtains in the meantime. 

Anyway, I should add this to that thread about things to watch out for when you buy a house. Though at this price point there was bound to be something that wasn’t perfect, and in the grand scheme of things I’ll take a bit of intermittent horn noise over the myriad other issues we could have faced when buying a house without an inspection. 

I have now started researching what it takes to establish a “quiet zone”, which would make it so that the trains can’t blow their horns past 8pm or before 6am. Seems like an uphill battle. Maybe this will be what spurs me into caring about local government. 

As a final note, I looked up what kind of stuff this train is moving around. The number one thing it transports is sand. I would not have guessed that. 

Geopolitical sadness
I lived in Israel for 3 years after college. The recent events there were really heartbreaking. I’m not trying to start a political discussion that gets locked. I feel bad for everyone involved and I hope the terrorists can be dealt with without starting WWIII. 

I spent way too much time doomscrolling on twitter and watching horrifying, gruesome footage. I need to be better about stepping away, even if it feels “important.” If it’s that important I should donate my money or time, not just gawk at social media. I like to be informed, but I also gotta have limits. 

Sister sadness
The exciting high from the last sister interaction I wrote about was short lived. Shortly after that I learned that she had a really bad drinking incident. No one could locate her and people were worried she was dead. Thankfully she wasn’t. Several family members were interested in doing an intervention, but other key family members were not. Sister is also, predictably, not interested in being intervened with, and thinks that all she has to do is start going to AA again and she’ll get everything under control. She hasn't taken me up on my offer to help her financially yet, so we'll just have to see how that progresses. I think I'll give her one of my old work computers when she comes to visit this month, which I'm sure she'll appreciate.

Fitness
After learning during one of the ERE marches that @Dave was once in the 1000 pound club (combined 1000lb one rep max in squat, deadlift, and bench) I decided to see if I could do the same. Turns out I am in the club! 300 bench, 330 deadlift, 400 squat.

The big asterisk is that I am not sure how low you have to go on the squat for it to technically count. My knees tend to not feel great if I go really deep on heavy squats, and I am determined to not get hurt. So I stop my squat, roughly, just above where my legs would be making a 90 degree angle with the ground.

Even if those don’t count, I am happy with my results overall. I couldn’t squat half that much as of not too long ago. I figure I am not bending down much further than that when I jump, and my whole goal is to jump higher.

I also think I could go way higher on deadlifts if I used straps, but I am not interested in doing that. Gotta just improve that grip, I guess. 

Work
Got news there could be a lot more layoffs on the horizon. I am just keeping my head down and hoping for the best. The severance package is super genorous, so if they call my name soon it won’t sting too bad. I just would prefer to keep the job up through when we either complete another round of IVF and start the adoption process. 

Reading
I went to the library recently with no list or agenda, which I always enjoy. I just roam the aisles, seeing what catches my eye.

The one I am furthest along in is called “Little Soldiers,” by Lenora Chu. It’s about the author’s experience as an American living in China after she enrolls her 3 year old son in the Chinese school system. It covers differences in American vs Chinese schooling, circa the early to mid 2010’s.

The author does her very best to paint a sympathetic picture of the Chinese school system, but I mostly just feel bad for all those kids. Per the title of the book, it’s basically military discipline from pre-school on up. The most prized skill a kid can have is the ability to sit very still. The first week of school appears to mostly just be repeatedly putting the kids in chairs, screaming at them if they move, and saying things like “your mother is not going to come pick you up if you keep asking to get water.”

Then they go from that to a lifetime of rote memorization, propaganda filled lessons, and absolutely relentlessly brutal test taking. Some kids study til midnight 7 days a week starting at age 12 for a test they won’t take until they are 16. All with the hope that they’ll beat out the other 18 million kids competing for a very limited number of college spots.

The author loves that her son is more disciplined and respectful than his American friends. And that he started learning math at a younger age. As someone who leans probably too hard in the “let kids be kids!” direction, I find it pretty sad.

delay

Post by delay »

Smashter wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:51 pm
I have now started researching what it takes to establish a “quiet zone”, which would make it so that the trains can’t blow their horns past 8pm or before 6am. Seems like an uphill battle. Maybe this will be what spurs me into caring about local government. 
Thanks for sharing! I've been living next to a train line for 20 years. Seeing the horn as a battle seems like a thing to avoid. This will focus your attention on it and will keep putting the sound at the foreground of your thoughts.

Welcome the work the rails, the train and its driver are doing for your community and wish them well. That will make the sound disappear.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Great luck on the house!

I lived across from commuter train stations for about five years. For three of them, the line also had regular freight traffic. In my experience, train noise eventually fades into the background. Your brain learns it doesn't matter. Fighting the railroad is a losing battle.

That's a heavy squat. The 1000lb total is very good, especially when someone is not a specialized powerlifter. Unless you have two lifters competing under the same rule set on the same day, comparison is difficult. At one extreme you have totally raw, drug free lifters, absolutely burying their squats. At another, you have untested guys wearing elastic support gear, getting under super human weights:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LUCoG6MFRSs

Both are challenging in their own way. But going purely on numbers is rarely an apples to apples comparison.

For what it's worth, I think every powerlifting fed allows chalk as a grip aid. The PL bars also tend to have a very sharp knurl, which aids in grip. You'll also often find a deadlift specific barbell - longer, thinner, more flex, no center knurl. That can impact the number as well. Some lifters do a hook grip, wrapping their fingers over their thumb. Painful, but apparently very effective.

So no straps allowed isn't quite the full story.

War is tragic. I can only imagine looking away is far harder, given your personal connection. My best antidote to doom scrolling, has been to read about disinformation campaigns of the past 10-20 years. At this point, unless I know about the creator personally, I assume the content exists solely to manipulate. There's no value in throwing my time away against unvetted sources.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Lots going on in your world!

I’m glad to hear the house situation is going well, lots of good stuff there. The train is probably and adjustment, but sounds like you’re doing OK with it and it’s manageable.

Haha, you’re such a beast you just casually test your powerlifting number and hit 1K+ lb :-D. Love it, really impressive!

Like @Scott said, that’s an impressive squat, especially relative to your deadlift – I think with practice you will be able to get the DL up quite a bit. Regarding squat form, I don’t know for sure what’s official. I always tried to ass to grass, but IIRC going parallel like you described is legit. For deadlifts, I never got into trying straps or chalk, but I did use an alternating grip. This helped a lot so the bar wouldn’t fall out of the hands (it rolls out opposite in each, makes a big difference). Have you tried alternating grip?

Completely unrelated, I always wondered why the barbell OHP wasn’t part of the set... that and deadlift were my favorites. I think I 1RM’d something like 140-145 with OHP, which I was pleased with. Lifting plates overhead feels oddly satisfying. These days I am trying to do the bodyweight version of this…handstand push-ups (HSPU), particularly on "paralettes" (i.e. cinder blocks) so I can get the full range of motion. I have a ways to go before I can do a full ROM HSPU.

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

Thanks for the thoughts on train-adjacent living, y'all. It seems to become less of an issue day by day. I look forward to the time when I don't even notice it. I love @delay's idea of incorporating it into a gratitude practice. I'm going to try that. DW has never been bothered by any of it, which is great.

@scott2 that video was wild. That dude’s chest was so big he barely had to move the bar (laugh). Thanks for the tip re: doom scrolling, I’m sure I’d find that kind of content really interesting. 

@Dave I have never tried an alternating grip. That seems like a great place to start. I really don't feel a need to spend any money on gear because I am not all that interested in improving my deadlift numbers anyway.

Dave wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:43 pm
I think I 1RM’d something like 140-145 with OHP, which I was pleased with.
Great, thanks, now I have another physically grueling challenge ahead of me! I'm curious where I'm at. I've never tried to optimize this lift. Oddly satisfying is a great descriptor haha, I feel the same way. Maybe there's some evolutionary component to it. Could it have been really important to lift heavy rocks above your head to build and/or smash things in the ancestral environment, or something?

Good luck on the ROM HSPU, that sounds badass.

Dave

Post by Dave »

For sure, give it a try and let me know if it helps! I am by no means particularly knowledgeable of this area, can only share what I did. But I found alternating grip made a difference because the grip issue was a sticking point for me as I crested 300lb...the bar really wants to roll out of your hands. I still wanted to train the regular grip, but I sometimes alternated grips when I was lifting near my peak, and especially for 1RM attempts.

Hahah, I wouldn't be surprised if you could do that much right now based on your bench. And yeah, I could see that..it sounds dumb to say, but watching yourself lift 45lb plates above your head in the mirror feels primal or something :lol:.

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

Finances

We have been throwing a lot of money at house projects. That should slow down significantly by the end of the year. Part of our agreement with buying a smaller, cheaper house was that I would not sweat every expense when it came to upgrades. So here I am, not sweating. It does all look amazing, I can’t lie about that.

We have agreed to start tracking our spending more closely once again, starting next month. We'd let that slip over the past couple years. As FIRE or semi-ERE becomes more of a reality we'd like to get a better handle on how we're doing, savings rate wise.

Despite the high spending, the net worth continues to tick up, thanks to investments. It now sits at about ~420k (plus our paid off house). That makes me be a lot more sanguine about the fact that I could be getting laid off next month.

I am feeling really good about our situation overall. Especially when contrasted with one of my best friends who recently visited. He and his wife have great jobs in the Bay Area. He makes almost $200k/year plus gets another ~50k/year from vesting stocks, and his wife is roughly in the same boat.

But it seems like he has more money stress than I do, given his expensive house, his expensive house renovations, his new Tesla, and his kids. He told me he absolutely needs his high paying job to feel secure right now. They also might move to an even more expensive house ($2M) if his kids get into a specific elementary school. I am confident he'll be fine because he and his wife are smart, hard working, high earners -- but I am glad to not have those kinds of headaches.

90% is good enough for me

When my friend upgraded his bathroom, he put in an expensive Japanese toilet. My guess is it cost between 1-2 thousand dollars. After using my $100 toilet from Menards with a $50 bidet attachment, he announced that my setup was 90% as good as his. All it was missing was warm water and a blowdry function. Though he admitted he doesn't even use the blowdry function anymore.

This made me happy. I’ll take 90% as good for 1/10th the price wherever I can get it.

Sister saga

My little lister visited for 4 days in October. It went well in some respects and poorly in others. The good was that, when sober and not hungover, she’s a delight to be around. I think she had a really nice time overall.

The bad was that she does her very best to not be sober. She walked off the plane drunk. When we got back to the house from the airport I commented about how impressed I was that she was only traveling with her little backpack, and she went “Oh whoops, I forgot my checked bag.” So we

She also went out, alone, until 1:30AM a couple of the nights. She would just go, “I’m going out to make a phone call!” and come back 4 hours later. When I asked her one morning how long she was out for, she said one hour. It feels kind of slimy, but I was able to check when she came back on our ring camera, which is how I know she was lying. It was jarring to see how effortlessly she lied to my face, despite knowing that's just what addicts do.

On the drive back to the airport, I tried to gently confront her. I said it seems like she’s still drinking a lot, and that if she wants to go to rehab I would help her with that. She said she was not interested.

There was a long awkward silence after that. It was hot in the car, and what came to mind next was an article I’d recently read about how many babies die after their over-tired, in a hurry, absent minded parents forget them in a car. So we talked about that and it was more pleasant than our previous conversation. Thankfully the airport is close to my house.

I gave her an old laptop I no longer needed, hopefully that can help her with her job hunt somehow. The core family is slowly warming to the idea that she needs professional treatment, so we’ll see how that progresses. As far as this related to me and ERE, I will not be giving her large chunks of money anytime soon, as was once on the table.

Infertility saga

Still no luck on the baby front. We are going to do another embryo transfer (two at once this time!) in early 2024, then one more round of IVF if that doesn't work. This won't be cheap, but it won't derail us financially. The war chest can fully support these further efforts to produce a baby Smashter.

I think this will be our last go at this. But we also said that a year ago, and here we are, back on the horse. I know at a certain point age makes the decision for you, and you have to stop. We are at least a half decade from that, so I'm hoping we decide to actually stop after this round and put our energy into other things.

This process throws a wrench in early retirement or semi-ERE plans. It might be really helpful to have a job should we need to look like a good, normal couple who should be allowed to adopt a kid. The healthcare from a job might be important for ongoing fertility costs as well.

That said, I am getting pretty sick and tired of making any decisions based on a hypothetical baby. At this point we've already stuck around at bad jobs for infertility coverage and wondered if we should stay at jobs based on their parental leave policies. We also moved into the previous neighborhood where we used to reside in large part because it seemed like a good place to raise a family.

I almost feel like the second we just start living our lives however we want and don't give baby stuff a second thought, a baby will somehow appear.

Reading

“Super Pumped”, the book about the rise Uber and it's CEO, Travis Kalanick. Interesting look at the kind of character who can build such a sprawling empire and the corners that have to be cut to make it happen. Overall though, this style of book no longer appeals to me as much as it once did. At times it felt little better than if I'd just read the CEOs wikipedia page. The author also did a lot of moralizing in a way I found grating.

"How to Want What You Have" by Timothy Miller -- I posted a long review on the forum. I really enjoyed it and it's making me happier. That's pretty much an ideal scenario from a self help book!

I am almost done with a George Saunders book of short stories called “Liberation Day.” He’s truly a master of the craft.

I got a cheap copy of "The Odyssey" at a garage sale and I just started it. It's time. It's long been one of those books that I wanted to want to read, but never really felt the urge. Now, for whatever reason, I actually want to. I'm enjoying it so far.

Fitness

I continue to work out a bunch and also finally found a semi-consistent basketball game.

I unfortunately tweaked my back yet again while playing basketball. My goal from now on is simple — don’t do that anymore. I am not quite sure what that means, but I do know that if I am playing basketball on a Sunday I won’t do an intense workout targeting my hips and lower back the Friday before. I knew I was feeling tired and creaky and injury prone before the game started, but I decided to go 110% anyway. I have to accept that my hard earned ability to get myself to train hard even when my body is exhausted and sore is starting to be more of a detriment than a benefit.

Cooking

I haven't been doing much lately, as I'm happy to eat whatever delicious meals DW makes plus subsist on rice, beans, bread, tofu, oatmeal, various greens, and protein powder. But I am hereby making a public commitment to make one of the Indian recipes @Dave sent me after our last ERE march. I've been inspired by all the skillathon chatter around here, and I think I want to level up my cooking game. Chef Smashter coming soon!

Writing and our AI overlords

In a past life, I pursued a job as TV writer, and I got quite far. I won a writing award, got a fancy agent, worked for well known writers at a big name studio, and got plenty of praise. I've also done a lot of content writing for businesses, essay writing on forums and elsewhere, and journaled daily for a long time.

I’ve long wondered if there were writing gigs that would spark joy for me in an early retirement. Then, as ChatGPT burst onto the scene, I was quick to abandon that notion. It seemed like the large language models would soon overtake me and everyone else. What was the point of caring about writing anymore?

While that still might be the case, especially for certain kinds of writing, I've realized I will always want to write regardless. The AIs have been able to beat us at chess for a long time, yet chess is as popular as ever. I think that people will always want to read interesting writing generated by humans. I know I will.

I enjoy doing deep research dives on topics that affect my life and then writing up my results in an accessible way. Maybe that's something I can lean into more when I have more time and energy in early retirement.

What next?

Despite my renewed commitment to writing, I still have not made much progress on my "freedom to". My current plan is pretty basic -- take time off to decompress, start trying different things, and see what speaks to me.

delay

Post by delay »

Thanks for the detailed blog update!
Smashter wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:28 pm
It was jarring to see how effortlessly she lied to my face, despite knowing that's just what addicts do.

On the drive back to the airport, I tried to gently confront her. I said it seems like she’s still drinking a lot, and that if she wants to go to rehab I would help her with that. She said she was not interested.
That sounds familiar. We humans lie all the time. If the purpose of lying is to avoid judgement it seems like an okay kind of lying. It's tiresome having to pretend to be someone you're not. I'd rank this much kinder than "lie to my face".

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

@delay my older brother had a similar reaction when I told him about the lying. He shrugged it off like like, "I can be a cowardly liar as well."

I get that. I have lied to my parents before in order to avoid uncomfortable conversations. What was so hurtful about this instance was that I used to think my sister and I had a special, unbreakable bond, and that we would never lie to each other like that. It was sort of a loss of innocence for me.

delay

Post by delay »

@Smashter Well I used to think of myself as honest. But I've learned is that if the fear / shame / pain is acute enough, I will lie. I think everyone does. Especially if one is put on the spot with no time to prepare.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Good to see the update.

I enjoy Indian, but my own attempts at preparing it have been underwhelming. Adding jarred sauces from Aldi to rice did not make the cut. I had some luck using boxed dal makhani spice from the local Indian grocer. It was passable, especially with coconut milk mixed in. Far from restaurant food though. I'm interested to see what Chef Smashter makes.

Regarding freedom to - You have your wife, new home, family, fitness, reading, cooking, basketball, writing and friends. That's a full life, even absent work. IMO you are starting in a great place. Especially given the decompression and discovery that follows a break from work.

NewBlood

Post by NewBlood »

I have never had dal makhani but I love masoor dal from restaurants and used this website to make masoor dal tadka and I was surprised at how well it turned out (and I am not a skilled cook, the instructions were just really easy to follow): https://www.thecuriouschickpea.com/tag/dal/

ETA: she also has a recipe for dal makhani, which hopefully might help you get the results you're looking for.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

NewBlood wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:53 am
ETA: she also has a recipe for dal makhani, which hopefully might help you get the results you're looking for.
The recipe looks decent. It's the variety of spices that lead me to a boxed spice mix. I think that's my missing factor, but I'm not committed enough to mess with all the traditional Indian spices.

NewBlood

Post by NewBlood »

Fair enough :-)