Something From Nothing Log

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Ego

Re: Something From Nothing Log

Post by Ego »

Tenant move out. Trash haul today. The crock pot, air fryer, toaster and instapot pressure cooker were never used. There was also an electric kettle that we are keeping as a backup if our current one stops working.

A few days ago Mrs. Ego found these.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

I have that fan in two sizes and love them... although one has developed a knocking if inclined that I've been unable to fix. Nice haul.

OutOfTheBlue

Post by OutOfTheBlue »

Are these people for real?

One's trash is another one's treasure, but when you leave a trash trove like that...

Ego

Post by Ego »

Yes, it is mindboggling. There was a lot of food as well. Mrs. Ego stored it away in the panic room before I could take a photo. All brand new, unopened Whole Foods staples. An entire pantry full of food. Crazy considering the tenant was moving just a few blocks away. There was only one piece of fresh food in the batch and we used it to make guacamole for lunch....

AH, I wanted to keep the fan but Mrs. Ego is now responsible for selling these finds and when she saw what they sell for she overruled me.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Incredible. Was there a similar amount of waste at Soylent Towers?

Ego

Post by Ego »

Not exactly. There was waste but it was different. Piles of clutter and news clippings left behind when they died.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Another move out, another full kitchen including an icemaker and more....

ETA....
The gift that just keeps giving. We are covered for (bad?) party wine for a few months.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Mrs. Ego just sold the coffee maker, toaster, cutlery and cookware for $60 to a guy who flew into town last night, moved into his new condo and woke up Jonesing a caffeine fix. He bought the condo without seeing it in person and was shocked. It is an incredible building but is in the heart of the downtown homeless village. He had no idea. Nice guy. We felt sorry for him.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Mrs. Ego just sold the ice maker and the fan for $130 to a woman who recently bought a vintage travel trailer and was excited that the color and style of the fan matched it perfectly.

loutfard

Post by loutfard »

My wife and I got cinema vouchers as guests at my brother's wedding. We don't do blockbuster cinema, so I sold the vouchers today. 27€ recouped of our wedding gift spending. Just wired it to my sister to help buy flowers for our mother on mother's day.

Brother pressured parents into paying for his expensive wedding. Now some of that returns to mother as flowers. There is some poetic justice about that...

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

Mrs. Smashter noticed this Dyson air filter sitting in a curb donation pile while walking around a nice part of Brooklyn. It is an older model that retailed for $500+ a few years ago. It works great and appears to have never been used. With the slightest bit of effort I bet the owner could have sold this for at least $100. But judging by the brownstone it was out in front of, the owner probably earned far more than $100 an hour and decided it wasn't worth the effort. There is beautiful stuff to be found in the waste streams of such folks!

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

College move out time

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

My college finds this year have been the standbys. Packaged foods, cleaning products, towels and dishrags (usually never used), and toilet paper?!,

Also wasted thawed frozen foods.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Another move out. Three year old Samsung 55" UHD 4K Smart TV. He did not leave the plug (generic type) nor the remote. It was working a few weeks ago when I went into his place so I assume it works now. I will get a plug at the swap for $1. I ordered the correct Samsung remote on ebay (used) for $6.18 including shipping. I may hold onto it for a while and see if I can find a bike trainer to set up zwift in the basement.

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

Ego wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:38 pm
Another move out. It was working a few weeks ago when I went into his place so I assume it works now.
Great finds Ego! Your assumption on this new TV is likely correct. I've come across many electronics lately, including TV's, that all still work perfectly. I've learned to just wait patiently and most items will likely make an appearance on the side of the road.

Ego

Post by Ego »

I found the correct plug in this pile at the swap meet for $1.

AAARGH!

I have a friend who buys tvs and takes them across the border to sell. I will give it to him for parts.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Dang! That was a good one. Did it fall onto the concrete?

Ego

Post by Ego »

Actually, I plugged it in and the surprise revealed itself. The screen was a bit dusty so I didn't notice the flaw when it was sitting next to the trash. Oh well.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Someone was giving away these two mechanical plug in timers.

Nothing special but I like the fact that they are old, mechanical and one was made in Switzerland. Tested and both are working fine. The Swiss one has four pins allowing two on-off times. The other one has one pin missing and three left. Will use one for cooking lentils overnight and the other for the dehumidifier, so I don't need to get up at night to switch the devices off.

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

C40 wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:59 pm
This guys is walking around with a few sheep. With permission from landowners, his sheep eat their grass/plants. He gets their milk. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U54HRmglYEA
Updated video on the homeless shepherd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v_YtUo7hSg