Alcohol moderation

Simple living, extreme early retirement, being wealthy, ...
denise

Re: Alcohol moderation

Postby denise » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:31 pm

When I was a kid, I saw a scientist on PBS say he didn't drink or do drugs because he never wanted to be unaware of his surroundings, or reality. That pretty much stuck with me. Now I have a health reason of why I don't do drugs, but that main reason still holds true.

steveo73

Postby steveo73 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:46 pm

denise wrote:When I was a kid, I saw a scientist on PBS say he didn't drink or do drugs because he never wanted to be unaware of his surroundings, or reality. That pretty much stuck with me. Now I have a health reason of why I don't do drugs, but that main reason still holds true.

I drink and I've smoked a lot of pot but this reason is also something that resonates with me. Nietzche says the same thing as well. Drugs allow you to avoid reality and it's better to face it.

Still I think drugs in moderation are basically fine.

BRUTE

Postby BRUTE » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:54 pm

what's so great about reality?

Ego

Postby Ego » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:03 pm

BRUTE wrote:what's so great about reality?

It is not that reality is great, it is that the opposite (fantasy, delusion) opens one up to being manipulated and controlled. Also, a clearer view of reality provides a base from which to make accurate and useful decisions.

jim234

Postby jim234 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:46 pm

I never understood why alcohol is so popular. So many other things out there that are so much better effect wise and not as damaging to the health.

BRUTE

Postby BRUTE » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:56 pm

Ego wrote:It is not that reality is great, it is that the opposite (fantasy, delusion) opens one up to being manipulated and controlled.

in brute's experience, living in reality vs. taking drugs (even hallucinogens) correlates very little with delusion outside of the trips themselves.

The_Bowme

Postby The_Bowme » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:26 pm

For some, there is tendency to wall off certain aspects of reality from one's awareness when sober due to their being scary, depressing, or intense. To the extent drugs undermine that, they can allow parts of reality to be experienced that otherwise would not be. But that also naturally limits how often one wants to use those drugs.

Alcohol, on the other hand, tends to allow human beings who otherwise find it difficult to tap into a more social, emotional, and less overthought mode of relating to reality. Given the way our emotions tend to imbue reality, I think this is just emphasizing one possible reality over others for a time.

Ego

Postby Ego » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:21 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-38562048

Alcohol flips brain into hungry mode

In tests on mice, alcohol activated the brain signals that tell the body to eat more food. The UK researchers, who report their findings in the journal Nature Communications, believe the same is probably true in humans. It would explain why many people say they eat more when they have had a few drinks. Rather than loss of restraint, it is a neuronal response, the Francis Crick Institute team says. The mice were given generous doses of alcohol for three days - a dose being equivalent to around 18 units or a bottle-and-a-half of wine for a person. The alcohol caused increased activity in neurons called AGRP. These are the neurons that are fired when the body experiences starvation.

steveo73

Postby steveo73 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:01 pm

Ego - one thing I hate about drinking alcohol is that I often eat a tonne of junk food at the same time. I get drunk and then go nuts. I should state that my nuts is eating crappy food not getting into fights or doing really dumb things.

I used to smoke a lot of pot. I remember getting the munchies once or twice but typically I would eat less.

Return to “Lifestyle Questions”