ClvName's Journal: Financial Independence in the Making

Where are you and where are you going?
clvrname

ClvName's Journal: Financial Independence in the Making

Post by clvrname »

Hi I'm ClvrName!
With the new year approaching its only right that I get my finances in order. With that said I'll get right into it.

Background
I'm 26 years old and I live in the Midwest. I've been working in Communications at a retail company for a little over a year making a little under $50K a year. I graduated from college in 2013 with a degree in Advertising (minors in Graphic Design and Marketing if you were curious) and approximately $35K in debt. My favorite passtimes are going out (bars particularly), new restaurants and my newest addition makeup. All which are big downfalls when it comes to reaching financial independence. I always thought I was great at managing my finances and always had a true interest for it but the more I read up on it I feel behind and not as knowledgeable as I thought I was. Background aside and on to the numbers.

Finances
Monthly Income: $2822 (might go down as I've added health insurance and a buy in to my companies vacation program or up as I'm do for a raise)
Monthly Expenses $1431
Rent: $660
Credit Card: $54
Student Loans: $172
Food: $300
Gas: $90
Cable/Internet: $105
Miscellaneous: $50
Yearly Expenses $1483
License Renewal (Feb): $100
Oil Changes (Quarterly): $115
Tires: $400
Car Insurance: $868
TOTAL (Average) MONTHLY EXPENSES:$1554

Projected Monthly Savings: $1268 or about 45% of my monthly income

Assets: $11465.81
401K A: $4937.69 (I contribute 5% of my income or $200/mo. to my 401K with a 5% company match)
401K B: $489.84
Investment Account A: $2657.61
Investment Account B: $1084.53
Bonds: $971.14
2002 Saturn: $1325

2015 Yearly Dividends: $14.52

Liabilities: $36639
Student Loan 1: $18089.56 (6.8% Interest)
Student Loan 2: $7302.16 (6.8% Interest)
Student Loan 3: $ 3261.28 (6.0% Interest)
Loan from Parents: $5275
Credit Card: $2714

NET WORTH: -$25173.19 :oops:

Financial Independence and Early Retirement
My early retirement amount is $466,200 and a dividend portfolio. I haven't dived into this number and I'm not even sure how to obtain a accurate number.
I did Monthly Expenses ($1554) x Year (12)/ 4% Withdrawal Rate (.04).

GOAL: -$25173.19/$466200 (-.05%)

Goals
This year I really want to put into place some lifestyle as well financial goals. I know without changing my lifestyle I won't be able to sustain a life of financial independence.

Goal 1: Pay off Student Loan 1 or $19000 of debt
This would be a huge win for me. Not only would it slash my debt in half but would also free up $100 per month that is devoted to this student loan payment. Based on my Projected Monthly Savings value, I should be able to pay $15216 on my debt but with a potential raise, eligibility for company bonus this year, possible tax returns and skinning up my budget I think it might be tough but attainable.

Goal 2: Follow Through and be More Accountable
Generally, I let things slip through the cracks for one reason or another but this journal, as well as other things in my life, I want to start seeing them to the end. I want to work on not giving up so easily when I make a mistake or being so overwhelmed because I cannot achieve perfection so I pass on challenges and as a result, opportunities

Goal 3: Complete the 100 Thing Challenge
I started reading the 100 Thing Challenge Book by Dave Bruno and I didn't even give it a chance. As part of making a lifestyle change it would be a good idea to pull away from consumerism and focus on minimalism and simple living. I'll try to remember to post my list of my 100 items :)

Goal 4: Propel My Career and Invest in Myself
After graduating I was just happy to have a job but now that I have been working with the same company for a little over a year and I have already been promoted in that time I want to focus on accomplishing more in the workplace and investing in my self professionally. This means truly figuring out what I want to do. Of course I want to retire early but that doesn't mean I have to give up things I enjoy and if I'm lucky maybe while I'm retired I can spend time doing more things that I love and even make a buck doing it. Wouldn't that be something. I want to focus on trying new avenues this year meeting more people.

Goal 4: Cook at Home. Eat Out Less.
Last but definitely not least start cooking at home! Eating at restaurants is by far my most expensive habit. Its just something about going to a restaurant, particularly out of town, and ordering a new meal that I've never had before that just does something for me. I'm truly hooked on the experience and the plethora of options and the fact that I don't quite love my own cooking. Setting this goal will help me save money, hone in on a minimalist living (especially since restaurants generally give huge unnecessary portions) and actually learn to cook meals I enjoy.
Last edited by clvrname on Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

clvrname

Re: ClvName's Journal: Financial Independence in the Making

Post by clvrname »

JANUARY BUDGET:
Monthly Income: $2822
Monthly Expenses $2680
Student Loans: $140 (No Payment due on my smallest loan until April)
Food: $290
Gas: $85
Miscellaneous: $50
Oil Change 1: $28.75
Car Insurance: $868
TOTAL: +$141 (addt'l student loan payment)

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Whew, it's the one-time expense of tires and semi-annual insurance(*) that killed the January budget. Avoid too many of those and saving rate looks like a good start.

(*) At least I hope that's not a monthly insurance amount.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Focus on food. Learn to cook. You can probably cut that expense in half and divert it to student loans.

clvrname

Post by clvrname »

George the original one wrote:Whew, it's the one-time expense of tires and semi-annual insurance(*) that killed the January budget. Avoid too many of those and saving rate looks like a good start.

(*) At least I hope that's not a monthly insurance amount.
Thankfully it is not! Its actually my yearly premium and I just pay it all up at once. Yes I'm hoping tires my be cheaper also but I haven't had new ones in two years so its unfortunate but its definitely time!

clvrname

Post by clvrname »

jacob wrote:Focus on food. Learn to cook. You can probably cut that expense in half and divert it to student loans.
I'm hoping so! I've been looking up recipes and downloading cooking apps I can't wait to report back on how I'm doing.

ether

Post by ether »

Welcome to the forums and best of luck in the journey!
Looking forward to your updates.

GandK

Post by GandK »

Welcome! Thanks for joining and posting your numbers. That's always the rough part. But now that you know what you're dealing with, making a map that will lead you out will be easy. There are some talented cartographers in this forum.

And no more embarrassment, okay? Real embarrassment would be staying put. On the way up? Then you're already winning. 8-)

clvrname

Post by clvrname »

@ether - Thanks so much for the warm welcome!

@GandK - Thank you! I agree it was rough going through all of my finances but I agree it helped to take a step back and see where I'm starting at. This is the first time I've done this so I hope I'm on the rode to financial independence as well. :)

clvrname

Post by clvrname »

As January comes to a close I wanted to update my journal. After looking at my numbers for the month I might need to write more than once a month to help keep myself on track. Anyways.

January turned out to be a very tough month for me as I knew it would. Some things were out of my control while other things... :oops: On to the numbers

JANUARY INCOME: $2617
I mentioned this in a prior post that my income would go down a bit in the new year as I increased my 401K contribution by 1%, added on Medical and Dental insurance and purchased an additional week of vacation for the year. Going forward my new income will be $2617.

EXPENSES
Auto Insurance: $868
Gas & Fuel: $64
Internet & Cable: $0
Mobile Phone: $70
Student Loan: $140
Food & Dining: $407
Home Furnishings: $191
Home Supplies: $9
Work Expense: $34
Personal Care: $5
Pets: $23
Hobbies: $22
Credit Card Payment:$54
Investing: $250
TOTAL EXPENSES: $2797

NET TOTAL: -$180

To explain the negative number I didn't dip into savings technically. I had approximately $500 left in my checking from December before I decided to start up my Early Retirement Journey. Still no excuses I had a horrible month.

The first thing that sticks out like a sore thumb is $407 for Food & Dining! It's one of the things I really want to work on and this month just did not go over so well. I plan to continue to work on that as I'm on my journey because thats a ridiculous and shameful number.

The second thing is the Home Furnishings piece. I didn't budget for that but while on my way to a minimalist life style my apartment was so cluttered and unorganized so I purchased some storage units and things I actually never bought when we moved in that were truly needed. Still $191 to work on being minimalistic makes no sense :roll:. Just know it won't happen again.

The third is the $250 toward investing. I haven't truly spent the money just transferred to my online investing account. With the stock market dropping so steeply I thought I could get in on some great companies and a potentially low price. I knew it wasn't a great idea so I didn't purchase any. If anything I'll probably transfer the money back to my checking account until I'm financial ready to start automatically investing every month not on whims.

Finally I noticed how little I spent on gas! $20 less than I budgeted for. With the cost of gas going lower that is really going to help my budget in that area. I'll plan to spend $60 next month to help curb unnecessary trips.

clvrname

Post by clvrname »

FEBRUARY BUDGET:

Monthly Income: $2617
Monthly Expenses $2228

Student Loans: $140
Food: $300
Gas: $60
Personal Care: $20
Oil Change 1: $28.75
Trip Expense (flight+ spending): $300
License Renewal: $100
Yearly Contacts: $60
TOTAL: +$389 (emergency savings)

As you'll notice Tires and Oil Change have made it into February since I didn't take care of it in January :x . Also, I'm taking a leisure trip to Virginia which was planned before I started my ERE journey. The flight I believe is $195 so I plan to spend no more than $100 while there on a 3 day trip (Wish me luck!). I also have to pay my license renewal fee this month and purchase my yearly prescription of contacts. Last year I only owed $52 out of pocket so I over budgeted a bit this year just in case. Plan is to have $389 remaining and I will put that toward my emergency savings.