new blanket

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
learning

new blanket

Post by learning »

We're looking to buy a blanket for our bed in our apartment for the winter. Does anybody have any suggestions on ones that are extremely durable, warm, and not too expensive?

tommytebco

Re: new blanket

Post by tommytebco »

I have a down comforter with a cotton shell that cost around $100. You can spend almost any amount on a "down" comforter by increasing quality of down and outer material, but the bottom end works just fine for me.

http://www.kohls.com/catalog/down-comfo ... S=1&PPP=60

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

Goodwill. I like polar fleece, but they don't give me the comforting heaviness that for some reason I prefer in cold weather.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

enigmaT120 wrote:Goodwill. I like polar fleece, but they don't give me the comforting heaviness that for some reason I prefer in cold weather.
+1 on polar fleece for the criteria mentioned in the OP.

Also consider getting flannel sheets.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

I bought a 20 deg sleeping bag at Big Five on Black Friday for $25. It's good on my couch. Seemed like a good value but I'm not a good judge of these things because I never buy them.

I bought a down comforter from a catalog company that was clearing extra inventory in summer. It cost me about $300 but the guy said he gets $1000 in winter. Maybe. It is still pretty good after thirteen years. I was able to sew up my own cover using my favorite Luke Skywalker/Princess Leia print.