Making a sleeping bag liner?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
TopHatFox

Making a sleeping bag liner?

Post by TopHatFox »

I was able to borrow a nice 40 degree Fahrenheit Marmot sleeping bag from my school's outing club for the year, but it's a big thing to wash in the washer and wait to dry every 2 weeks or so.

I'm trying to figure out how to create a liner for it and attach it somehow so it stays in the bag to some degree of certainty. I'm thinking a liner made of fleece or some other fast drying material would be best, as I will only have access to air drying on board the sail boat I"ll be on in a few weeks. Maybe finding a fleece blanket and sewing it to itself would work, then attaching it to the bag....somehow, maybe with velcro.

Any ideas? Have any of ya'll ever made your own sleeping bag liner?
Last edited by TopHatFox on Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

llorona

Re: Making a sleeping bag liner?

Post by llorona »

Nope, never done it. But if I had to, I would start by finding an existing sheet or blanket made of fleece or whatever. It's expensive to buy new fabric by the yard. I would fold the fabric in half to the desired size, trim if necessary, and sew the bottom and long side to make a sack of sorts. To attach it to the sleeping bag, I would attempt to use either velcro strips or very large safety pins. (This assumes no modifications could be made to the sleeping bag itself.) Good luck!

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Just use a normal flat sheet and use the sleeping bag as a quilt.

Otherwise a liner is just a bag inside the bag. So make a bag. It's not rocket science.

heyhey

Post by heyhey »

I have used a single quilt cover, if you don't want to sew at all.

Ego

Post by Ego »

I never zip up a sleeping bag unless it is bitter cold so I'd do what Jacob said and use a flat sheet.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

As jacob said, the easiest thing to do is make a bag. Fold over a full size flat sheet and sew it up yourself. If you can't sew, buy iron-on seam tape and do it that way. If you want a ready-made option, buy a twin size duvet cover and stick it inside the bag.

edit: I'd use a queen size flat sheet because it's longer. It would give you enough material to fold over a few inches at the top of the sleeping bag to keep the part near your face clean.

henrik

Post by henrik »

jennypenny wrote:If you want a ready-made option,
You can also buy a sleeping bag liner in a hiking supplies store. They tend to be expensive for what they really are though:)

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

henrik wrote: You can also buy a sleeping bag liner in a hiking supplies store. They tend to be expensive for what they really are though:)
Yeah, when I priced twin duvet sets at Ikea they were under $15 IIRC, and they came with pillowcases. I like Ikea textiles, so it seemed like a good deal.