Trump - Clown Genius

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
GandK

Re: Trump - Clown Genius

Post by GandK »

ffj wrote:I don't like any of them either, but I especially loathe Clinton. I have already told my wife that I will vote for anyone other than her, even if it is Trump. She responded by saying she would have to divorce me if I help get Trump into office, but that is how much I can't stand Hillary. Every word out of that woman's mouth is a contrived, calculated, attempt at manipulation. Clinton, that is. :)
:lol: I said the exact same thing about Clinton, word for word, to G. I then added, "but I hate Trump almost as bad, so if the contest is between Trump and Sanders, I would vote for Sanders." And G said he'd divorce me if I did that.

I'm now wondering if every politically-aware married household in America is on the brink of collapse. :lol: :lol: :lol:

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

ffj wrote:I don't like any of them either, but I especially loathe Clinton.
I completely agree. If she gets the nomination I will probably register to vote just so I can say I tried to keep her out.

Although no one on the other side is appealing at all, as others have stated. Cruz would be the closest I think but he is so regimented and very pro-war from what I can see. Trump is slicker than a salamander, I don't know how people can believe it when talks about "I'm doing this for you....because I love you guys!". :oops:

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

@ffj, I think a lot of it might come down to 'she'd be the first woman president!' and so ' I must be a part of this historic vote!' . :roll: It just speaks volumes about the level of critical thought going on around us.

Chad

Post by Chad »

For me, I'm voting for Clinton to keep the others out. Not because I particularly like her, but because it would be more of the same. Yes, more of the same would suck, but what Cruz, Trump, and Sanders are selling is worse. I will take the moderate I know over the extremists I don't know. Is she a bad person? Absolutely, but so are the others (except maybe Sanders, but his policy ideas are shaky). Rubio is the only other candidate that has a chance with me, but I'm nervous about his greeness. All bad choices, but not making a choice isn't a great option either.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I'm OK with leaving the position vacant and letting Biden be the acting President until a suitable candidate is found.

cmonkey wrote:@ffj, I think a lot of it might come down to 'she'd be the first woman president!' and so ' I must be a part of this historic vote!' . :roll: It just speaks volumes about the level of critical thought going on around us.
Cruz and Rubio are both Cuban which is also historic. If either of them is the nominee it might split some of the vote based on that kind of sentiment.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Lets just vote jacob for president, jp for vice president, Dragline for Sec of State, GandK for Treasury, etc.... any other nominations?

The rest of us will form the parliament.

We will form a new ERE country.

GandK

Post by GandK »

I'm in. :D

You don't want me in charge of the treasury. I avoid dealing with money whenever possible. An ambassadorship, maybe.

Let's see... in addition to seconding the above:

I nominate 7wannabe5 for Secretary of the Treasury. She will redefine wealth. Possibly cash as well.

I nominate Ego for Secretary of Transportation. He will make everyone bike or walk everywhere.

I nominate theanimal for Secretary of the Interior. He will take good care of all the public lands.

I nominate Zalo for Secretary of Contemplation. Because why not? And he's good at it.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I'd nominate Ego for any position except Sec. of Health and Human Services. He'd make us drink that soylent stuff and force us to get our poop tested regularly. :P

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

We need some competition here.

I nominate C40 for Treasurer for his chart awesomeness. We will never have any financial mysteries in ERE land.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

I'm in as long as I'm allowed to talk like Ben Stein with a fake Henry Kissinger accent.

And I don't have to have my poop tested. :P

Ego

Post by Ego »

Poop Czar deems both a test and transplant critical.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I knew it.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Well then I make a motion that the czar should be the one doing the testing.

Ego

Post by Ego »

It's for your own good.

Oh, I get to say everything in a sloppy Wallace Shawn voice.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

GandK said: I nominate 7wannabe5 for Secretary of the Treasury. She will redefine wealth. Possibly cash as well.
I thank you for that vote of confidence, but I feel that I must first reveal that the last time I held such a position of power, I lost the books. Anyways, put my name on the roster of Hillary haters. I haven't trusted her ever since the incident where she made a wise-crack about not being the sort of woman to stay home baking cookies, and then totally recanted. Also, I was very much in empathy with Monica during the scandal, because the press was so down on her for not looking like Kylie Minogue while fulfilling the role of President's Mistress. I saw Bill Clinton up close at an early rally back when he was first running. Very sexy open Dominant. Barack, OTOH, probably great in bed, but locked Dominant, lucky Michelle. G.W.B., blech, probably never rose above drunk frat boy style. Wouldn't touch that with a 10 ft pole.

black_son_of_gray

Post by black_son_of_gray »

The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument

Text can be found here

You know, just in case you want to set up some bingo cards for future debates. Reading through the list highlights many of the favorite tactics being used.

A recent example of #31 "This is Beyond Me": Remember when the Republicans recently would respond to questions about climate change with, "I'm not a scientist..."?

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I like "Postulate What Has To Be Proved." Cogito ergo sum indeed.

I only skimmed the list. Was "Be correct." even on it?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

This was good. I'm pretty sure Trump's speech grade level is deliberate, however. Can't overspeak your target demographic.... He knows exactly what he's doing.

The DW had a similar thought.
Basically, the reason why he does have a following b/c America is so DUMB he's really the only one a lot of people can understand.
I have the same problem most of the time. Not to sound haughty or anything but I have to purposely dumb down how I talk to people and also slow the speed at which I talk simply because it's impossible to have a conversation otherwise. Could be I'm the one with the problem though. ;)

GandK

Post by GandK »

cmonkey wrote:Not to sound haughty or anything but I have to purposely dumb down how I talk to people and also slow the speed at which I talk simply because it's impossible to have a conversation otherwise. Could be I'm the one with the problem though. ;)
I hear you, but I think it's all of us. Seriously. Nobody really understands where anyone else is coming from. I don't think people ever did understand one another, but today, in the age of lightning-quick communications, having to slog through the translation process to get to the point where you can exchange ideas with someone else generally feels like dumbing down to me because it takes forever and is so prone to error.

I think the article that @theanimal posted earlier in the thread about the politics of resentment really hit the nail on the head. Trump's success boils down to the fact that he has tapped into the fear, anxiety and resulting anger of white people over 40. These people grew up with a virtual guarantee of success in return for hard work, but they have not been successful in the manner that they expected for the amount of effort that they put in. The backlash against this looks a lot like racism and xenophobia, and therefore stupidity, but I think the bigger deal is that there are way more people at the table now but the pie itself is smaller thanks to technological changes and outsourcing. There is a supply-and-demand problem in the job situation for hourly workers. More blue-collar people in the country and more blue-collar jobs out = fear and anxiety, especially for the blue-collar people who were "here first" and therefore believe they should get first dibs on any available opportunities.

There is a huge gap between the expectations of older white people, fostered by the generation before them, and what they have actually received. Just like the way Millennials were promised a good job if they went to college, but that hasn't panned out for many, either. In both cases, the result is anger. And no one is taking the complaints seriously in either case, because there are ways out of both situations for those who have foresight, ingenuity, gumption, and/or a healthy sense of stoicism. The ironic thing to me is that the two groups (old disaffected white people and young disaffected college grads) have veered in completely opposite political directions in response to these upheavals, but the underlying issues are the same in both cases.