Yogurt making

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Yogurt making

Post by jacob »

Our attempts seem to be a bit of a hit/miss. Last time was perfect. "Solid" result with almost no whey.

This time the milk curdled (theory, too warm, the starter was too old) as left a rather thin mix. Is there any way to rescue the last batch or restart it somehow?

tommytebco

Re: Yogurt making

Post by tommytebco »

http://cooking.stackexchange.com/questi ... oiled-milk

some qualified opinions. Seem to favor "throw it out". I suspect your milk got too hot

When you seed the batch, you should be able to put your finger in it without flinching before adding the seed yogurt.

Try my milk powder method, I'm on the 7th generation without problem. I use hottest tap water (I think 120 def F) add the milk powder and mix. Finger test for temp, add seed and mix and set on top of stove all day. Here in Florida I don't bother with heat pads.

almostthere

Post by almostthere »

I've made a lot of yogurt with a lot of tools: 'yogurt maker'(an electric container that holds the milk at a steady temp), thermometer, freezer (for rapid cooling), and microwave. Generally speaking what was your process?

I microwave milk to boiling, place in freezer, take temp, mix old yogurt, and place in yogurt maker for about 6 hours. I will sometimes, not always, spray the yogurt container with diluted bleach and rinse it before boiling milk in it. The times for microwaving and freezer can be learned with a bit of trial and error.

I have rarely if ever had a bad batch.

If you have access to unprocessed fresh milk that makes the best yogurt.

Kefir grains were even lower maintenance than the yogurt process and may be an alternative for you if you have don't want all the equipment.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Basically heated in a pot and kept warm in the oven for the same amount of time (using the oversized light bulb in the oven --- old oven ... prob 25W or so). Not exactly meticulous, not sterilized.

My present theory is that the milk was too old, that is, at the point where it was beginning to sour but not undrinkable yet. Since acid causes milk to curdle and since temperature does the same, the combination lowered the curdling-temperature to less than the 180F which was recommend. In the future, we'll use fresh-fresh milk only. This is what we used the last two times.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

In my experience the yogurt process needs a good amount of fine tuning to accommodate local conditions. Everyone's equipment, materials, and preferences are different.

Currently I simply heat up milk above 180 in a stockpot, hold for 15 minutes, allow to cool to 110 naturally, stir in a scoop of yogurt, preheat oven 5 minutes, let sit in the oven overnight, and drain excess liquid through a cloth napkin (i.e. "Greek-style").

Heating and cooling in a crock pot was more reliable but slower and messier.

It can get too acidic/sour if the culture is overactive --- fermented too long and/or warm.

For some reason ultra-pasteurized milk doesn't work as well as plain pasteurized. I haven't researched why. Grocers generally prefer ultra-pasteurized because it doesn't actually need to be refrigerated.

As with brewing, microorganisms threaten to invade during the risky period after pasteurization but before the yogurt culture takes over. Make sure to use clean utensils while pitching the yogurt culture.

almostthere

Post by almostthere »

After considering KevinW thoughts the milk type, I think I lean to his point about milk type. I rarely make yogurt in the US. It has almost always been in developing countries where I could buy milk that was either unprocessed or processed very little. It also had a very high fat content and that make for thicker richer yogurt.