Amazon just went anti-DIY

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
GandK

Re: Amazon just went anti-DIY

Post by GandK »

7Wannabe5 wrote:What if the washing machine is so smart it has its own Amazon Prime Account?
It has occurred to me before that if we ever get to the point that a machine is entitled to some or all of the fruits of its labor, problems would ensue. It never occurred to me before I read this sentence that the some of the solutions might involve fig leaves. ;)

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

lol- I happened upon some related writing recently, Maybe Amazon can use it to guide further product/services development or advertisement of such.

"I entreat you to keep his linen clean, for this is up to you. Because the care of outside affairs is men's work, a husband must look after these things, and go and come, run here and there in rain, wind, snow, and hail - sometimes wet, sometimes dry, sometimes sweating, other times shivering, badly fed, badly housed, badly shod, badly bedded -and nothing harms him because he is cheered by the anticipation of the care his wife will take of him on his return-of the pleasures, joys, and comforts she will provide, or have provided for him in her presence: to have his shoes off before a good fire, to have his feet washed, to have clean shoes and hose, to be well fed, provided with good drink, well served, well honored, well bedded in white sheets and white nightcaps, well covered with good furs, and comforted with other joys and amusements, intimacies, affections and secrets about which I am silent. And on the next day fresh linen and garments."

"Housekeeping in the 14th Century: An Abridged Translation of The Menagier de Paris" (Advice from elderly Parisian husband to his new 15 year old wife on how she might best care for her next husband after his death, written around 1393)

I think at least the foot-washing attachment would be a no-brainer add-on.

OldPro

Post by OldPro »

What a lot of it tells me is that people are just as DIY 'challenged' as I thought they were. It seems like a lot of people here don't want to accept that yes there are people who need someone else to hang a tv on the wall for them. "Most ridiculous? $169 for mounting a TV to your wall."

That may sound ridiculous if you see hanging a tv as an easy thing to do but a lot of people do not see it that way at all. I'm sure there are plenty of people who if they tried would end up with the tv falling onto the floor. You can see things in only one way if you want to but it does not mean there is only the one way to see it or that your one way is the 'right' way to see it.

I smell another whiff of elitism here. 'Oh, anyone can do these things for themselves surely, I can'.