Nords aboard

Say hello!!
Nords

Post by Nords »

I'm a retired U.S. Navy submariner. I did my 20 years of active duty and went cold-turkey ER when I didn't find any other compelling avocations. A couple years later I discovered ER forums and realized that IS my compelling avocation.
Jacob's extreme ER philosophy appeals to the part of me that remembers how to live a lifestyle stripped to the essentials in a (very) small volume. I'm also accustomed to saving most of my income and other "deprivations" that would send many ER wannabes screaming into the night. While I've been ER'd for over eight years and have loosened the purse strings, I wouldn't mind reverting to that lifestyle if I could enjoy the fun parts of submarining again. This is relevant because my daughter is studying engineering on an NROTC scholarship and is seriously tempted to become a nuke too.
Whatever ERE tools one uses, they offer excellent defense against adverse financial events. Instead of having to cut expenses or seek part-time work, a recession might not even significantly affect an ERE income. Along those lines, I'll start a separate thread with a question about covered calls.
More details of my ER are in the "About me" tab of my profile at http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/ ... -4317.html

Marius

Post by Marius »

Hi Nords!
I recently viewed your profile and wow, it's impressive. You must have a great life!
Surfing is a great inexpensive hobby, both at the beach and online. Due to circumstances I'm sticking to the online variety. :)
Wishing you excellent waves.

firefighter

Post by firefighter »

Nords!
Good to see you here!
I can't believe I'm looking at your Taz sign

and the word "posts" is followed by a single digit

number... very surreal.
-FF (LB on er.org forum)

Nords

Post by Nords »

Thanks, I'm going to leave in a couple hours for North Shore dawn patrol-- coming down to 6-8, hopefully Chun's Reef.
I guess the quality of the posts counts at least as much as the quantity, but imagine if Gravatars had a post counter attached to them too...

slacker

Post by slacker »

nice to see you here too, nords! I'm a regular - lurker- at ER as well :) Remember reading many of your posts there.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Welcome Nords! I've definitely enjoyed your posts over at early-retirement.org
I'm staying on Waikiki through Thursday noon if you are up for getting together for lunch and/or a surf :)

Nords

Post by Nords »

Well e komo mai, and that has to be the fastest E-R.org or ERE chapter meeting ever!
I don't know if you're going to want to surf. The 2-4 (from last week's tiny little New Zealand storm) is gone tonight. What have you been using down there? Which break?
My Tuesday is booked. How about Wednesday? I can get down there as early as 10AM for surfing (rush-hour accidents permitting) or we could meet at the Wailana Coffee House (1860 Ala Moana at Kalia/Ena) for brunch or lunch, or I could take you over to the Hale Koa Hotel's Koko Café (which is open 11-2)?
Anyone else on this board living on Oahu? (Nothing comes up on a search.) Anyone else want to join us? We could sort out the details in this thread or you could e-mail me (NordsNords at GMail) or we're in the phone book. See you soon!

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

If you start a meetup thread in the meetup section, I'll "stick it" to the front page and advertise it on the blog. That might get some more response.

Nords

Post by Nords »

Here we go:

viewtopic.php?t=622