Five years... Wait, how long??

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Tyler9000

Re: Five years... Wait, how long??

Post by Tyler9000 »

Triangle wrote:As you save more and more, and reduce your expenses, your current life will probably be approaching your retired life. That's what I like about ERE, you don't have to suffer for 5 years and then get salvation. You start changing things now, so you'll gradually make your life into what you want it to be.
+1

Quitting your current job is only one step (although a big one for most people) in the ERE path. That may be a few years out, but you can start the retirement transition today.

Think about all the things you plan to do when you retire (Work out more, explore a new hobby, sell the car, move to a new city, etc) and stop to think about what is REALLY stopping you from doing those things this week. If there are barriers in place, then start attacking them individually. Browse for jobs in the desirable post-FI city. Modify your routine to work out regularly. I'm betting there are lots of individual goals that you can set to keep you engaged and improve your happiness.

Basically, think of quitting your job not as the start of ERE, but the last check-box in the transition process. And start that process today.

vivacious

Re:

Post by vivacious »

RightClawSouth wrote:Has anyone else realized that five years is an unbearably long time?
When I started reading about ERE it seemed awesome but now I'm like: "Dammit, this is taking a long ass time"
Are there any psychological tricks to dealing with having to wait so long? My real worry is that I'll get bored, lose my diligence, and accidentally spend a bunch of money on something...
This also really makes me wonder how "normal" people don't just go completely insane at the prospect of working for like thirty years. Holy FSM, the thought gives me chills...
+1 FSM. Hehe.