How Will You Celebrate Achieving ERE / FI?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
theplk

How Will You Celebrate Achieving ERE / FI?

Post by theplk »

a huge party?

a long holiday?

buy a Harley?

something else?

Scott 2

Re: How Will You Celebrate Achieving ERE / FI?

Post by Scott 2 »

Momentary satisfaction, followed a sense of deep loss and feeling adrift. After a few weeks, I'll set a new goal and once again have purpose.

It's all about the journey.

Chad

Post by Chad »

I think most people would celebrate by quitting and starting their new pursuit/goal.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

@Chad has my version.

It will be a several month process:
1) Sell current residence
2) Pay off mortgage on second residence that becomes primary residence
3) Quit work
4) Move
5) Go fishing, gardening, cut firewood, etc.

3) & 4) might be reversed depending on timing. If reversed, there might be a "commuting residence" rented.

C40

Post by C40 »

I'd like to do a cross country vehicle tour stopping to spend significant time with family / friends, and in places to consider living permanently. Kind of like what M471 is doing right now.

altoid

Post by altoid »

Definitely more travel. There are several options in my mind, probably will start the road trip in US as well, since I don't know when I will return once leaving for overseas.

arrrrgon

Post by arrrrgon »

You guys are all so deep.........I plan to run around screaming WOOHOO!!!! :-D

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

The problem with celebrating FI is knowing the exact moment you achieved it without the benefit of hindsight. Numbers only tell part of the story.

Personally, as I gradually cross that blurry finish line I'm learning that FI is less a hard demarcation and more a lifestyle or ERE state of mind. I can certainly appreciate my new way of thinking about work and money, but I have yet to throw a party to celebrate my view of the world changing.

Now the day I officially flip the switch on the 40 hour work week is a different story. ;) All I know for sure (and perhaps all I'll remember) is that there will be good whiskey involved.

chenda

Post by chenda »

I don't think I will have a sudden moment when I become financially independent as such. It will be a more gradual process when I reduce my working hours and spend more time on the stuff I like.

lilacorchid

Post by lilacorchid »

Well, I think I will have to work up the nerve to quit my job. I'm always worried about leaving the sure thing and jumping to the unknown. But, I will probably buy a fancy sewing machine if I'm still in to that, and my husband wants a fancy screamingly fast computer with epic graphics to play his games on. Otherwise, life will continue on...

Once I settle down, I'll probably start up a little shop in my house fixing computers. I like tinkering, just not 40 hours a week. :P

Magda

Post by Magda »

arrrrgon wrote:You guys are all so deep.........I plan to run around screaming WOOHOO!!!! :-D
YES !! :D

+ a sushi feast with BF & friends

BecaS

Post by BecaS »

+1 Tyler9000
+1 lilaorchid

It took me a few years to stop working completely, just because it was very, very scary to let go of that income stream.

I say that we, *we,* are semi-retired because my husband still works. I've said it before, though- the simple state of having only one of us working is huge for both of us. It's a bigger deal for me than it is for my husband, obviously, but it's a pretty big deal for him as well. Our quality of life has increased exponentially.

It is like Tyler9000 says, though- the full realization that you've crossed that line is often framed in the rear view mirror.

The celebration was for us mostly quiet, but deep and satisfying, and it continues. :) :)

(Wow, that sounds a lot sexier than I meant it... but if that works for you, carry on!)

TheLuckyWizard

Post by TheLuckyWizard »

Is chop wood, carry water an acceptable answer?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

TheLuckyWizard wrote:Is chop wood, carry water an acceptable answer?
That's how I see/saw it.

Jpsilver

Post by Jpsilver »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A4UGtM4hDQ :D

If I'm satisfied with my job I might still work for a while, until the point where I become bored.

prosaic

Post by prosaic »

We are not FI, but we are now in a fairly unique position compared to our circle of friends and family, as I work from home as a fiction writer and my husband just went down to 20 hours/week + benefits, working from home as well.

Our quality of life has MASSIVELY improved in the last month since his hours dropped. I quit my part-time job in March. Having schedule freedom is a really big deal. It's taken my being at home since March (though working 40-60 hours/week -- but MY hours. My choice, my schedule) and the past month as my husband's hours went from 60-70 down to a strict 20 to realize how much we were tap dancing on the head of a pig with our hair on fire on a daily basis before.

When my husband can quit, and when we hit FI and I no longer *have* to write and publish to produce income, I imagine we'll sit on a beach somewhere here in MA staring out at the ocean and we'll smile and say "You did it, honey" in unison.

almostthere

Post by almostthere »

Since I am six weeks away from quitting the job, I did spend this morning shouting in joy "hasta la victoria" and "viva la libertad" with my wife.

Other times, I am desperately mentally planning just what the hell I am going to do with all my time and worrying about if I am doing something really stupid.

MountainMan

Post by MountainMan »

Open a nice bottle of homebrew, relax, smile, and move on to the next chapter of my life.

Felix

Post by Felix »

like this: